Water vs Bearded Dragons

lmsmith

woah guys keep it toned down, Lmsmith only wanted advice like most people that's new to something so there's no need to get up on your high horse about.

Smeauwa - you may be new to the forum but people don't get condescending over others, not only can you get banned but no one will take you seriously or even help you out when you need help.

Lol, this is beginning to become my fav topic.

The reason I wanted to know is I love beardies, but would like to be able to have an enclosure that I can decorate with plants and stuff. I can't really do that with the beardies, but thought maybe a WD could live in more like a terrarium. I think WDs sound pretty cool, but I'm really more interested in a pet I can hold and take outside and play with. WDs sound like they aren't really into the personal contact, so I might stick with a beardie.

Thanks to everyone who's left constructive replies. I also appreciate the funny ones :lol:

just a joke, dixons the joker so thought since we all taking jokes lmsmith may take him :lol:

anyway id recommend a bd over a wd not that ive had wds but from what ive read over the past couple of years theyre less petable if thats even a word i dunno - but if you can provide a safe outdoor setup and like something more on the wild side (i do :lol: ) wds maybe the go, they sure look amazing and get abit larger according to some reports ive read.

woah guys keep it toned down, Lmsmith only wanted advice like most people that's new to something so there's no need to get up on your high horse about.

Smeauwa - you may be new to the forum but people don't get condescending over others, not only can you get banned but no one will take you seriously or even help you out when you need help.

Wow (Condescending)..... Wish i could pull out the whole 4 syllables :( Thanks for not taking me seriously,I dont! maby you could help me with my high horse ,it seems to have got away from me!didnt realise lmsmith was so young....

Lmsmith dont keep an adult in anything less than a 2m cube enclosure, minium a large water bowl, max a 50/50water land enclosure

glass leads to snout rub so keep the glass at water level and up.Out side after 2 years ....max, pref sooner . otherwise, unless its tame(see living art,n handel daily) you will get snout rub .N if inside will half its lifespan.

If outside where you get winter frosts or snow, supply at least 60 cm soil to hibernate in.the greener the enclosure n shorter the sunlight phase (not photo cycle) the greener the w/d (but more chance of rickets) bla bla bla e,c,t e,c,t. theres some basics .as you can see, big diference in husbandry

between w/d n b/d!

Wow (Condescending)..... Wish i could pull out the whole 4 syllables :( Thanks for not taking me seriously,I dont! maby you could help me with my high horse ,it seems to have got away from me!didnt realise lmsmith was so young....

Lmsmith dont keep an adult in anything less than a 2m cube enclosure, minium a large water bowl, max a 50/50water land enclosure

glass leads to snout rub so keep the glass at water level and up.Out side after 2 years ....max, pref sooner . otherwise, unless its tame(see living art,n handel daily) you will get snout rub .N if inside will half its lifespan.

If outside where you get winter frosts or snow, supply at least 60 cm soil to hibernate in.the greener the enclosure n shorter the sunlight phase (not photo cycle) the greener the w/d (but more chance of rickets) bla bla bla e,c,t e,c,t. theres some basics .as you can see, big diference in husbandry

between w/d n b/d!

Thanks for the tips, I didn't realise they did better outside - I kinda thought that the consistent temp inside would be helpful? What is their lifespan if kept in ideal conditions? (This is for both beardies and WDs). I have seen anywhere from 5 - 100 years for both, although 20 seems to be what most places say.

the trick with outside is they get to hibernate,wich gives there body an anual detox,and imagin they only have x amount of heart beats in them,by hibernating it slows right down=longer life span.

I would guess w/d inside maby 15 years outside up to 40.

with beardies iv seen them burnt out in 3 years when they should go 12 years. i am experimenting with inland beardies outside ,so far so good.

i have a 2 year old who was out side all last winter and is healthy but half the size of an indoor . n 5 adults who were outside as well. make there enclosure dry but with a glass or plastic roof as its the cold damp that toasts them. dry cold is fine (its realy ball numbingly cold in aussie desert at night) .

i think the trick with most reptiles is less is more(heat,food)if you want a healthy long lived animal.