Flies

I am looking around my living room and at the moment there are 7 little houseflies circling under a light (as they do). I have killed at least 5 houseflies today and 3 big fat blowflies. Last summer I had a lot of flies (I thought) and I thought it might just be the weather and then this summer I am beginning to think I am just a bad housekeeper. But really I am not. We're not clean freaks and we do have children so there are always crumbs somewhere but it's not that bad! My husband reckons it must be the fish tank cos this is the second summer I have had fish and the second summer we have had a fly problem.

Move up north and you'll wish you only had that many. We get a few as well, having a dog and 3 cats doesn't help either.

Some years I mix up some ripcord and spray it round where the flies tend to hang out, lights, beams, etc. It seems to keep the numbers down for months. If you do this just make sure you don't spray near your tanks and if your really worried cover them up. Ripcord is good because works well and since it's mostly water it doesn't float round the house like spray can stuff does.

its normal for flies in my house and i only got one child and the dogs and other floffy animals live outside only fish and reptiles inside oh and insect for reps but i keep them in a cupboard so if we use flie spray they dont die too(or posion the reps)i spray and nighttime when there still

but there is always more by the next afternoon :evil:

when i lived on a farm we had NO flies at all and EVERY animal came in to house and one point even the horse put there heads in the window

but we did have a fantail called baz that visted all the time so i guess he got them before we noticed

At my house i'm really lucky, from time to time there is one fly!

I remember when i was 10 my parents got a real estate person over to get a quote on the house and i prodly told him that we don't get any flies (maybe i thought that would make the quote bigger...) :lol: :roll:

I have never heard of a connection between fish tanks and the number of flies you get. The few flies I have are never anywhere near the tanks.

I have 3 Jesus flies. I spray them at night, they die, then in the morning there are 3 flies buzzing about again! :roll:

Of course it might not be the same 3 flies but I have my suspicions! :lol:

Ok so I asked our neighbour whether they have a lot of flies and she said that they did and then sheepishly confessed that her husband puts meat and chicken leftovers on their compost heap and it has gone bad. Fancy that. I think we might be arranging a rather disgusting trip to the tip.