Breeding Rams?

Dave+Amy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that could be a WAY easier option, how do you take the pot out without the eggs coming out of the water? Does it matter if the eggs were out of the water for a second?

yes it does :-) I have tried that method many times and failed. Best method is to keep under water at all times. I still managed to only keep 20 of my last batch. Dont quite know why because I have never had problems with rams before but I have lost 100's of them over the last few months.

Did you lose 100's of juvies or adults Bilbo??

I made the mistake of putting the pair back into the community tank to clean out their compartment properly and soon enough the male from the pair and another male were flashing and locking mouths in combat over the female from the pair.

Don't understand why none of the males want the other female

followed TM's recommendations and have hatched the latest batch of Blue Rams in a bucket, they are at the two day old wriggler stage - all can semi-swim! Mum looks like she's conditioned up again so won't be long until she lays another batch.

Very excited :D - they're in semi green water and I'll be adding green water in everyday to top it up.

Can Ram fry take micros before they take bbs?

• 3 weeks later...

Got the first batch growing well, over a month old now and soon going to be added into their own grow out tank, the second batch only around 20/30 survivors because I wasn't careful enough when removing the pot around a week old.

The female's breeding tube's starting to stick out again and I'm out of tank space so I might just leave her next spawn with her.

Have to admit I'm not having much luck with hatching BBS (it's so simple so it's frustrating that I'm not getting it!!!)

cool thanks for that Ryan :D I'm still not having success in raising fry though - only around 20 survivors at a time, I ran out of room for the last spawning so I left the eggs to the parents and the Dad took care of the eggs, only 8 wrigglers on the pot the other eggs didn't get enough water circulation I'm guessing.

At what age should I remove the Dad?

I'm still not having success in raising fry though - only around 20 survivors at a time, I ran out of room for the last spawning so I left the eggs to the parents and the Dad took care of the eggs, only 8 wrigglers on the pot the other eggs didn't get enough water circulation I'm guessing.

You and most others :D It doesn't seem to be easy raising these fish.

Dunno what happened there - your quote didn't come through properly. :oops: