Breeding Rams?

Dave+Amy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came home after work - too late for the local petshop so couldn't get my sponge filters for the fry tank.

Found the Anubia leaf looking grazed so am guessing either the SAEs or GBAs got to the Ram eggs - am a little bit bummed :(

I'm getting my breeding set up tomorrow so I'll isolate the breeding Rams when the new tank's cycled.

my males ussually have a bluey tinge one the back half of thier body and the femaqles have a piny belly also their bottom fins closest their tails are different. Post a pic of them both if you can

Got my breeding tank set up from Peter today :Dtotally stoked

Check it out:

346051236.jpg

346051241.jpg

Cam - the one I think is the female seems to have smaller dorsal fins and fatter than the male, the one that I think might be a male has got that blue sheen to his body. Cannot get a good pic of them, they've set up home in the Indian Fern wall, vigorously chasing the other rams away.

Amy:

This is what the Ram eggs should look like. This is a pic of one of my 3 pairs of breeding rams. I gave them away to a friend who is having a lot of fun breeding them. the fish were about a year old at this stage.

(you should be able to see the eggs on the gravel if you look closely).

DSC01711.jpg

Phoenix44 - I need a pic of distinguishable/sexable Gold balloon Rams, I know my Blue Rams are a couple 'cos they laid eggs.

Cam - Peter made that tank to my specifications, I can't fill it yet have to let the silicon cure first. It's a 180L tank divided into 3 tanks and I can always turn it into one big tank by taking out the perspex dividers.

golden balloon rams eh? sorry can't help. have you tried googling it. I know its better to know for certain off someone who has bred them but failing that google may help. lol

I haven't bought rams since these guys cause they just seem to die within a few months for no apparent reason :cry:

I'll try get a pic for you. My gold rams lasted a while, I had 1 male who was really big and conditioned up and 2 females who were always pink and full of eggs (I probab;y should've bred them :roll: ) but we went away on hoiliday and one of the females died and then I put the male in a hospital tank (he had a white pimple under his eye) and the other female died then I got 2 younger ones and the male died but they lasted over a year.

Heres a pic of my old gold rams (the only decent one thats close enough to see any difference)

078-2.jpg

Males at the back and females in front. The male is bigger and has a blue sheen at the back half of him (the pic doesn't show it very well), also has extended front few rays on his top fin. Also the bottom fin closest to his tail is longer that the female.

awesome vid - good luck with yours! Mine have had their home taken over by the Blue Rams since I replanted the whole tank so they're homeless at the moment. I'll have my breeding tank up and running this week so hoping both the couples can hold on from spawning for a few days

Rams spawned again today, saw the female cleaning the pot surface at lunch and found this in the afternoon:

347248352.jpg

347248344.jpg

Hoping that they won't eat the eggs again this time, might remove the dad after wriggler stage. How long do others leave the adults in, if you leave them in at all.

get a container big enough to hold the pot (or what ever else they laid their eggs on) then put it under the water on the bottom. then put the pot into the container and lift the whole container out.