Breeding Rams?

Dave+Amy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea why they die.. Water conditions are always fine have tried treating with prazi and metro with new additions, tried nz bred blue and golds lost the lot and wont ever buy them again sick of wasting my money lol

There are theories about fish being hormone fed for growth/colour, theories about them being so inbred they cant handle a normal aquarium, there are theories they have all sorts of nasties from being bred in outdoor ponds.. Who knows?

i have got a pair of blue rams, have found them easy to keep and get to laid. My parents have a bad habit of eating the eggs once they start wriggling. however i now have a batch of eggs i have taking from the parents that have started to wriggle and looking good. so will wait and see :D

I've got a breeding pair of blue rams, they're easy to get to breed if you have a boy and girl, they aren't treated with hormones and they are a compatible pair. They only live about 2 years max, and take a long time to colour up, so overseas, they are treated with hormones to bring the colour out, which also makes them infertile.

If you do manage to get a pair, then pop them in a well planted tank with low KH, PH about 5.8 - 6.0, about 28-30deg, and feed them well. They like sand as the substrate so they can dig pits, where they take the babies at night time. They pick up sand in their mouths and spit it, and also rub themselves to make a hole. You'll notice the boy chases the girl, and she gets quite pale. When they're about ready to spawn, the girl gets REALLY fat, and really dark (tummy black, sides bright blue), and she will chase him.

They'll lay about 150 eggs on a pot, stone, driftwood or something similar, and will keep everything away from their area. They will lay every 2 - 4 weeks if you remove the eggs. They 'tag team' to keep their eggs safe - mum will go off, eat and have a break, then when dad can see her again, he'll rush up to her, they'll tap noses, then it's his turn to have a swim.

The eggs hatch in about 3 - 4 days (as usual, quicker in warmer temps). The fry are TINY, and stay wigglers for about 4 days. The parents take them to their pit at night and when they start swimming away (they pick them up in their mouths). The fry need to eat TINY food - the muck on the bottom of a planted tank is ideal, or they need green water if you choose to raise them yourself. They can't eat BBS until about 2 weeks old. Microworms about a week after they become free swimming.

Keeping the fry alive is a mission and a half, that's why so many are wild caught or farmed in Malaysia. They're also pretty shoddy parents for the first few (5 or so for mine) spawns, and will eat the eggs or fry if they get spooked.

However, they're really rewarding to raise, and beautiful fish!

I brought a pair of gold rams and balloon rams from animates and they lived for ages (the golds lived for about a year). Also you can sex them from their bottom fin closest to their tail. Post pics and I'm sure someone will be able to sex them for you.

There have been a few floating around at times and Bilbo and his brother in Bulls here have some beauty breeders and is about the only person who I know who has managed to breed and raise them.. I got some off them and managed to kill them though.. Good luck with yours!

Breeding them is a synch. Buy six, pop them into a heavily planted tank with some dither fish and WHAM they do the rest. Or at least that’s what I did, they do have a tendency of eating there own eggs the first few times around but eventually they get the hang of it. Sometimes you can even be lucky enough to get a primo pair of parents that give you no hassles.

Also I am sure they live a bit longer than two years, I never had a problem keeping them alive or healthy. Biggest problem I had was if there were too many males in a tank and not enough space. Never kept the balloon rams (mutants), only referring to the blue’s.

two out of my four Blue Rams have paired off and are defending a corner of the tank, Im 99% sure that it's a boy and girl due to the differences of their dorsal fins and how the male is always chasing the other male blue ram away and how the couple usually travel together.

Here's a photo of the couple:

345403606.jpg

She has one short operculum - will this be passed on? Also - what would be the best substrate for breeding these little guys?

iv tryed breeding my rams in a BB tank. they not interested.

Im thinking of putting a corner of silicon sand in and put there flat rocks near by. They were laying eggs in my fine pebble substrate like crazy!

The fry ended up all dying cuz they sqeezed into the corners to the bottom and couldnt find there way back up or got stuck :roll:

So will see if the sand will work.