Nissan Silvia S15 Spec S fuel type

Lesta3474

lol what a debate :)

End of the day your japper is designed for running on the higher octane fuel.. It will run better and you will get further for the extra few $$ it takes you for the tank of gas. And it will be better for the car especially if you give it a good thrashing every now and then.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tsk tsk look at all the drama associated with a japanese tuner. much better off with a HEMI or a koenigsegg

big displacement making up for a small........ :lol:

them luxury exotic cars nice, make kool noises go fast etc. but waaay outa my price range so not my cuppa tea.

jappas definatly my cuppa tea, cheap, reliable, make huge power for such small displacement (well some)

Most jappa naturally aspirated cars will run sweet on either gas, higher octane=cleaner burning, more power, more economical and more expensive, u basically get what you pay for (except for petrol in general its just expensive full stop)

i always run 98 where applicable, small motor + big turbo + high boost = very important need for decent fuel and along with that a good tune to match to stop from detonating causing.

But back to origional question i have owned many sr20de and sr18de vehicles all run sweet on 91, but higher octane definatly better, with a small noticable difference in power and economy

quarter mile in mid 11sec it has 300bhp at the wheels

I would love to see more of this car, 300 hp at wheels in a 2.0l na car. thats dam impressive for a na car, even for a honda!

But back to origional question i have owned many sr20de and sr18de vehicles all run sweet on 91, but higher octane definatly better, with a small noticable difference in power and economy

NZDM or JDM? The NZ new ones will have lower compression to make up for our crap fuel, and will therefor run better on the 91 than the jap motors. Also, I think the newr SR20DE's in the S15 have higher compression than the older ones. How much difference it makes I'm not sure, 10:1 isn't that high, although I still wouldn't run it on 91...

I usually run 91 in my 1990 SiR CRX, (1600cc DOHC vtec engine) but when I do fill up on 98 the difference is almost instant. Idles quieter, is a lot more throttle response and just feels smoother to drive. I find it is also more economical. (a difference of about 500rpm at 100kmph)

I have been told that I nana drive my car around a lot due to using the gears and driving it below 3500rpm. Even driving like this I can achieve 100kph at 3500rpm. (also I dont see the point in wringing out each gear before changing like some idiots out there who see how fast they can get to 70kph in a 50kmph area) Driving like this, $20 dollars petrol can last me about 2 weeks if needed. On the other hand, I have been known to drive it hard on quiet country roads and twisty backroads, using the full rev range and vtec, where $20 dollars gas doesn't last very long.

I am only young (22) and consider myself a 'car enthusiest' not a 'boy-racer' (as commonly labelled) but I can say that there is a lot of people out there that really need to learn the characteristics of their vehicles. There are so many unexperienced driving getting behind the wheels of not just high powered vehicles, but just a different vehicle to the one that they would usually drive, and having/causing accidents from pure inexperience of what to do in certain situations and not knowing their vehicles as well as they should/could. I guess I am lucky that I have had the opportunity to put my little car through its paces and test its limitation and find its faults in a safe enviroment. (a race track) And when I sit in my car and drive, it's like the car is part of me. I can feel and notice everything going on in the car and any little changes etc. But maybe I'm a little too obsessed. But I do think it's a little too easy to get a drivers licence these days. Maybe we should have driver's ed classes like the americans? Or compulsory defensive driving courses.

Anywho, enough of my little rant. My opinion is, the higher the octane the cleaner and faster it burns, therefore better for late model vehicles. It helps keep the engine clean and free of build-ups.

that is why i have a fuelstar , it burns hotter so i dont have to use a higher octane fuel. it increases the fuel economy and the amount of ks you get out of a tank.

im not a GIRL racer i just love my cars.

i have 2 kids of my own and zane has 2 so we dont drive like maniacs, but if we want to go out and have some fun we can because the cars can handle it.

i never have and never will push any of my cars futher than what i can handle or control.

nor do i thrash the balls off my cars as we need them to get us around and dont have the cash to be silly.

all i was saying is that on a everyday basis i use 91 but if i didnt have the fuelstar i would proberly use a higher octane fuel.

everyone has their preferences mine just happens to be different.

i would rather pay out one price for something than have to continuously have to pay for more expensive fuel.

Thanks guys for the very informative debate not only on fuel type and octane rating but different types of cars, engines and their performances... etc.

I think from all that has been said.. (on this thread and on the other one at nissansilvia.co.nz) I will definitely not go for 91.

I love my car... (although my girlfriend does not approve.. well sometimes :) ) ... i treat it like my second wife.. and so nothing but the best.. and if 95 or 98 will be better for it then yeah.. thats what I'll go for.

Thanks again! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I find it is also more economical. (a difference of about 500rpm at 100kmph)

I have been told that I nana drive my car around a lot due to using the gears and driving it below 3500rpm. Even driving like this I can achieve 100kph at 3500rpm.

It is physically impossible for fuel octane to effect the drivetrain gear ratio.

Whatever Rockwork said is gibberish.

It's the ratio of cylinder volume with the piston at the bottom of the cylinder to the top, which is the amount it compresses the air fuel mixture.

10:1 means it's compressed to 1/10th its volume, 12:1 is compressed to 1/12th and so on. Higher compression=better.:)

Because when you compress anything it gets hot.

When you have a high pressure mixture of gasoline and air if it gets too hot it can explode at the wrong time.

If it explodes at the wrong time it breaks your engine.

Higher octane fuel doesn't ignite as easily from compression and heating.

Higher compression=better.:)

Yes and no. Obviously in the extreme cases it is (I remember reading about the Meguiers Ford Focus drag car which ran over 12:1 compression and around 30psi boost!) but there are limits. In a naturally aspirated motor the compression and the cams need to be matched or your wasting your time, and on all but the most extreme big dollar turbo motors a lower CR (somewhere around 8-9:1) will make it safer to run more boost and easier to tune, more of a margin for error. Anything much over mid 11:1 CR for a NA street car running on our crappy gas is pushing it IMO...