about a white spot (not ich) deformities extra fins, hello.

Finny

Hi everyone this is my first post so allow me to introduce ...

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61 ... rofish.jpg

I am a fish novice, although I've been watching them for a while.

If anyone does feel like giving me a helping hand that would be great.

I've looked around the site and am using the search engine too. What I'm most unclear about is the high deformity rate.

Are all goldfish often a bit deformed? or just mine? In which case Yikes, -what have I done to them??

I suspect that I have 4 males 2 females but only one I'm sure about is this one who is suffering from being mercilessly chased around the pool. http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61 ... ollage.jpg

I think she subsequently has scale loss and a secondary fungal infection which is that funny spot on the dorsal. Yesterday it was billowing with more of an anenome effect, so she's quarantined for now.

Am I right???

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61 ... lyfish.jpg

This one is well enough but has a really strange line to the tail and back, it's permanently twisted

and my Blackmoor has an extra fin which I can't for the life of me get a picture of

Up the top though there's a picture of 'copperguy' who is a comet. I thought he was anyway. In the pic you can see his unusual dorsal fin shape, and a little bit sticking out further down. It's hard to believe he's been nibbled -he's the biggest guy in the tank and responsible for much of the aforementioned breeding aggro.

Fish photography's quite tricky I realize.

With copperguy, I'm nervous about a fungal issue because they're all transitioned in a new tank.

I'm off to search for salt treatment advice, but maybe they'll all feel better in their new aquarium? I hope so.

I've looked around the site and am using the search engine too. What I'm most unclear about is the high deformity rate.

Are all goldfish often a bit deformed? or just mine? In which case Yikes, -what have I done to them??

Haha, It wouldn't be a goldfish if it wasn't deformed. They're the product of tens of thousands of generations of inbreeding and encouraging the survival of deformed mutant offspring then breeding them with their deformed mutant brothers and sisters.

Good progress with deformities... What a motley crew :) Comet? I think my guy is a short finned longbody brown goldfish. Either that or he's been bred with a trout.

The Blackmoor should have analfins. Maybe his other one will turn up. I'm not sure if the others are officially fans or veils, I'll work that out.

But I am worried about my goldy with the wierd spot. Will she be ok do you think?

The spot was definately fluffy the day before yesterday when she came out of the pond, it looked like it was infectious and exuding kind of feathery bits..

they've gone now.

I hope this is a bit interesting to someone. Otherwise I'm off to the vet anyway. I'll post here about how I go in case it's helpful to others.

thanks

I went to hollywood fish farm yesterday because the white spot on my fish wouldn't go away after 1 month. Apparantly it's not white spot, it's something called fluke (hope i have the name right)

Now I am feeding my fish with garlic soaked pellets and hopefully the problem will go away..

perhaps you can try this?

thanks both Caryl and piggyvir

I hope the marks on its sides aren't fungal, I've just been looking at some horrible images of fish fungus. I'm guessing I should treat for fungus anyway.

flukes

seems to be a type of flatworm parasite

pretty sure it's not that one

or if it's this then it sounds like it's too late: Ichthyosporidium, sounds the closest description so far, but the reading I've done says if a cyst is showing then its already riddled with it. yukky

Does the picture look like a common result of bullying to any wise eyes? or could it be completely fungalafied?

I don't think it's the 'cotton' variety of fungus as I've only seen one cyst and no other fluff.

Hmmm thoughts...

seems like a serious fish disease if that's what it is. How did it get in my pond? From the shop?

tune in for the ongoing saga... does goldy get medication or... the fridge :(

the fish in this pic

"http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NRCUY6-yemE/SRUWHUkbxsI/AAAAAAAAAQE/_njIBKzU39E/s1024/P1050757.JPG

may have first ray in dorsal fin damaged and developed fungus on the wound

you may be able to catch fish out and dose the spot with iodine and acriflavine

this from another thread

Furan should do the job with the bacteria if you use it as per instructions. I would get a cotton bud and dab methylene blue or malachite green (or both)straight onto the wound in concentrated form. Catch the fish and hold it in the net and dab it on the wound but avoid getting it in the eyes. Hold it out of the water as long as you can.

:) I can't see his fins there? but he seems like a robust kind of guy.

Thanks livingart. I'm a bit nervous about dabbing yet, I always feel bad about moving them around.

I'll give it a bit longer and see if her sides are healing..

I've only just realized that there is a diseases section here! Well I'm learning a lot by googling stuff too

but I don't know... do the fish actually eat at eachother when they're harrassing? Is that how they get damaged?

I didn't know goldfish could be so fierce!

And if it is just a bit of scale loss how long does it take to grow back?

the lump has gone down, I've done nothing but flush the water in a small quarantine tank. She's eating, swimming happily and peeking out through the gap in her quarantined hospital tank. (I wrapped it to decrease stress)

Now it looks more clearly as though someone has had a munch of her dorsal fin. What terrible behaviour! I blame copperguy.

How are you going with your treatment piggyvir?

For reference,

Girly is still swimming around quite frantically in her hospital tank, and she still has a white tummy. Pearly has been quarantined too on a just in case basis because she seemed to be losing scales. She's in a bucket and the others are in another bucket now because we're shifting house.

Hanging in there

I started doing a little salt treatment with the hospital tanks but that's been disrupted.

They have oxygen shells plants stones and quite regular water changes.

cross fingers