Adult brineshrimp

Peter McLeod

I've got one of those little plastic critter tanks with brine shrimp in it. Unheated, no circulation, occasionally when I remember I feed them some brewers yeast. They grow pretty quickly, a few weeks from hatching to adult and they breed pretty quickly. Mine are dying off as fast as they're hatching, but that's because I pretty much ignore it, give them water changes, heat and an air hose for some circulation they'd probably breed like rabbits.

I have read adult brineshrimp are high in a vitamin that enhaces colour and good health.I have also noticed feeding my guppies live food seems to make them happier and healthier baring the whiteworms at least for the guppies, and I want to be able to raise something in reasonable quantity to feed all my fish that won't do them harm if fed every day.

I've grown adult brine shrimp in the past - the didn't do any good just using the table salt mix that you can hatch them in. To raise them on you need real seawater or artificial seawater (like you'd use in a marine tank).

kribkrazy, i tried most methods to grow my brine shrimp to full size (air pumps, seamonkey food, heater everything) i had given up and used the container to try and grow daphnia outside. Then to my surprise the brine shrimp hatched in freshwater and i have a great culture of them going on my back door step. Ask around and you may find a few people will tell you the best results are achieved by leaving the brine shrimp outside to fend for themselves. I occasionally feed them a crushed up lettace leaf which will rot but is great food for them. I thought it would be too cold for them but they are reproducing in good numbers and my seahorses are really pleased with the results

Seahorsemad,

I believe what you have outside are either CYCLOPS or DAPHNIA,

no way do B/S grow or survive in fresh water.

Kribcrazy, when you've stood beside Lake Grassmere,

on a Queen'sBirthday weekend,

and had that southerly creeps up of the alps.

you should know you are living in a tropical paradise.

When we went fishing there, or shrimping.

They seemed to be thermally adjusted to a depth of about 200 to 300mm,

almost looked like they were held in position by a sheet of glass.

Absolute buzz catching 1000's of them using the figure-eight net sweep

But, it was cold, so very, very cold.

Alan

I have daphnia wok but I doubt it would travel well that far. I hope to have enough to take some for the auction at the National Show in Napier in Sept.

That howling southerly sweeping across the salt ponds was a killer wasn't it Alan? :lol: .

• 4 weeks later...

So is yeast something can they soley survive/thrive off? I checked out biosuppliers website and they're advertising "the world's best food for growing brine shrimp" (under frozen foods), anyone tried that or is it more cost effective to stick to yeast? Anything else they eat?

• 3 months later...

You don't want to mature them into adults if they are for feeding fry as for this they need to be newly hatched. What makes you think they died within the hour? You weren't looking at the egg casings were you? They will be swimming (and hard to see if your eyesight is like mine) in a little cloud.

No I wasnt looking at the shells...they were floating. The BS hatched, swam around like mad for a while in big swarms at the bottom. I went to the supermarket and by the time I got back they were lifeless at the bottom, no movement!

can someone confirm if seawater can be used, or if it needs to be treated before using? cheers