Idea's for a NZ Guppy Society

Peter McLeod

I have recently emailed Shawn Sprague in America and asked for his help in helping Cees, myself and fellow New Zealanders on the subject of linebreeding guppies, and hopefully in the end a NZ guppy society.

I am also wanting to start a website to promote the breeding and maintaining of line bred guppies in NZ.What idea's do people have and what questions would you like most answered so Cees and I can compile relevent information for you.

Shawn is more than happy to answer any questions you may have about line breeding guppies, he has told me if he can't answer your questions he has alot of very knowledgable people to bounce idea's off.His email address is [email protected]. I will email him and see if he can pop into the forum occasionally to see if he can answer any questions.

Anyone with idea's

Peter

I am trying to compile virgin female guppies with different colours.If anyone is interested in trying out line breeding, get in touch with me, it can be very rewarding, I will try to organise getting some virgin females to you.I also have some of Cees's half black blue guppies he bred a few years ago that Kelly Rennel gave me if you want to try a more established line.They should be good seed fish if you find an interesting male that you want to try and fix a new line with.I won't have many of these for a while but If you want to contact me I will let you know when some are available.both Cees and I are really interested in getting a group of people together that are interested.I will help you out as much as I can.I'm sure Cees will be able to offer advice when he can.Anyone with any questions please contact me, If I don't know the answer to your questions I will endevour to find answers.It will be a good learning experience for me as well.I can send you micro worm cultures to help you as well, not quite as good as brine shrimp but would be alright with a good feeding schedule, and all you need to culture them is oats,yeast and marmite.

Great Peter!

2 things

1) I edited your post and took out the quote to the complete first message.

2) I'm getting serious with line breeding again and should have fish to share around in 3-4 months. We should really get a guppy society of the ground. Important I think is that we get a group of people together who are serious about line breeding guppies, who agree that keeping records of the breeding is important and who are willing to share resources.

I'm convinced that with a few years of hard work we can get to a decent 'standard' of show guppy.

and

I also have some of Cees's half black blue guppies he bred a few years ago that Kelly Rennel gave me if you want to try a more established line.

Is there any sort of guppy society in NZ at the moment ?

If not creating one would be a great idea, I put my hand up for inclusion in the creation of such a society :D

Terry

Hi Terry.

No there are none at the moment.Hopefully if we can get a few people interested that are willing to work together we can have alot of fun.

I got a few pairs of line-bred guppies from Petworld down in Christchurch.Not the same as the guppies we would like, but I was supprised with them because alot of imported guppies that are sold as line bred have different paterns or colour in the dorsal and caudal.The H/B leopards I got from them have a very good match.Imported line-bred guppies often are over the hill or unable to breed.With the first generation I got off the leopards the males were not as consistent as I would have liked but because the father is still very active and definately not sterile I was able to cross him back to his daughters who are now very pregnant.Hopefully I will even be able to cross him back to his grandaughters if I take good care of him.

I will be contacting them again soon to see what new guppies they have.

Give me or Cees an e-mail if you want us to send you some fish or help

in any way.

Peter

Hi All,

looks like we've got a Guppy society in the making.

Give me a few weeks and I'll have a website setup (Peter, will contact you about that) with registration page.

So, tell me all, what's the purpose of a Guppy society.

Cees said...

> Kelly where are you, no internet access down South ??

Kelly is definitely still online, I've heard from him a couple of

times since he shifted.

He is, however, in the process of shifting into his new house

at the moment and so may be too busy to check in here.

I wasn't under the impression that he spent a lot of time here

anyway but maybe that'll change once he gets settled in.

Andrew.

Cees said...

>... looks like we've got a Guppy society in the making.

> Give me a few weeks and I'll have a website setup (Peter,

> will contact you about that) with registration page.

While I'm not overly interested in guppies, especially not line

bred ones (they do make good turtle food though so I'm happy

to take culls off anyones hands :) ), if I can be of any use based

on my experience with the NZKA then feel free to ask.

Andrew.

to take culls off anyones hands :) ),

We forgive you. I'm going to try raising my fry on killie eggs.

if I can be of any use based

Thanks, the NZKA model translated to 'internet based' would be a good one to use.

Cees said...

>... looks like we've got a Guppy society in the making.

> Give me a few weeks and I'll have a website setup (Peter,

> will contact you about that) with registration page.

to take culls off anyones hands :) ), if I can be of any use based

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Hopefully I won't get many culls, so far all of Kelly's guppies have developed into really nice breeders, some are light blue almost green and others are a very dark blue.I do have a few colourless males that pop up when I am playing around with petshop bought females and can keep them aside for you if you want.

We have plentiful supplies of mosquito fish around Rotorua.Aparently they are illegal to catch but you can get permision from DOC to catch them if you have a valid use for them.I can find out for you if you want.

Peter

• 1 year later...