Hi, Anyone have any great ideas for making light hoods

sandysme

Yeah thats what im talking about, Im not sure whether to try a full lid type thing or just a box type thing, I have a lamp sitting on there at the moment but it doesnt direct the light down into the tank, was thinking I could pull the lamp apart and put it in a wooden casing of some sort, have looked at past threads on here but they are so old that the pictures are gone now. Any ideas and pictures would be great...

the marley spouting with some metallized mylar in the back of it is the best bang for the buck. You can use foil but it will go dull and need replacing more often then mylar in my experiences.

You can put the whole T8 fitting in if its a single, or if a twin then cut notches so that just the tube holers are inside and the batten is along the top (flat part) of the spouting.

I gave the ones I made away so cant get pics easily but its pretty straight forward if you have the batten fixture and the spouting infront of you to see how they can go together.

As usual if you dont know what your doing with the wiring then ask a mate who does or a sparky

I wonder..... if you used those small craft mirrors dotted along the spouting.... might it give a dappled effect?

My kokopu tank is based on a forest stream so the lighting is a little on the low side, but a bit of dappled light coming through the canopy could be interesting....

perhaps sometime in nov or december - fish people from in and around palmy can meet up and have a "make your own stand / tank lid" workshop?

I have a 4 ft tank and would be keen on making a cheap wooden lid for it too; and if there is someone here who knows exactly how we could all get together and have a workshop or something?

just a thought.... :P

perhaps sometime in nov or december - fish people from in and around palmy can meet up and have a "make your own stand / tank lid" workshop?

I have a 4 ft tank and would be keen on making a cheap wooden lid for it too; and if there is someone here who knows exactly how we could all get together and have a workshop or something?

just a thought.... :P

What I have used for cheap covers and lighting are 4' Flourescent - 2 tube fixtures from your local building supply. Use the ones that are used for drop ceilings, they are 4' long, I have even added 2 extra tubes and a ballast to make them even brighter. These fixtures are usually painted white by the supplier, I purchase a can of flat black spray paint and paint the outside cover black. You can even cut out the back of the fixture if you have a filter that hangs on the back of your tank or for what ever you need.

Mine is a DIY job - it's a halogen hood light - the type that line the ceiling. It has an eheim attachment to it and am not sure what that's for - will find out soon though I hope. The light bulb is pink too which doesn't make it so bright in the tank, I like that but not sure if that's the ideal colour for the plants.

not sure about that product aye.. but normally those paints only reflect when light hits the paint at a certainly angle. Or more importantly it depends on where you look at it from...

the shiny side of tin foil is great for a cheap way to reflect more light...

but cheap warehouse mirrors (12bucks) are awesome if you have a tank that is big enough.