can an axolotl metamorphasize in new zealand

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bounce: My friend, years ago when we were in form 3 (now called year 9) had an axolotyl. It was the first time i'd ever seen one. Hers had morphed, don't quite know how she did it and would assume it was accidental. She used to her axy in a square acrylic tank and had it set up a bit like a taddie/frog tank with water and a big rock sticking out. I guess it just learn't to climb up on the rock because it could!! Lived for flippin years too from memory.

this is just my opinion and by no means a dig at any body but i think it is cruel to have axolotls out of water for extended periods of time just so they can "walk" around they do have legs and a tiny set of primitive? lungs but they are only supposed to morph if there environment is polluted or inhospitable again my opinion and thoughts the life of a morphed axolotl is apparently a short one and not a very happy one although as always there are exceptions to the rule again just my opinion

it is possible but uses chemicals galore to make them they often die it is inhuman to make them they would need an injection to stay a live every few months if it is sexualy mature

BOLLOCKS!! Where did you hear that, you are not talking from experience which is obvious. The purpose of a forum is to shed light not spread rubbish!!!!

All they need is natural thyroxin, not the synthetic thyroxin. Contrary to all the myths they can live just as long as a non-morphed axolotyl- this myth was started by a book written in the late 80's by a person who knows plenty about frogs but nothing about other amphibians.

They express different colours than than non-morphed form.

Best colour to morph is black because the salamander is dotted.

Natural thyroxin is cheap and can be sourced easily, with reference to the 'unwanted organism' tag, that says more about MAF than the dangers of 'mutant aggressive salamanders' lol.... :wink:

If you are serious then do your research!!!

You could chat up your local butcher but Maf might think you are a naughty person and then you might never get to heaven. Is there any point in having one morphed other than morbid curiosity? I guess, if they wanted to morph they would do so.

don't in the lakes where they come from as iodine poor water.

WIKIPEDIA SAYS

In the axolotl, metamorphic failure is caused by a lack of thyroid stimulating hormone, which is used to induce the thyroid to produce thyroxine in transforming salamanders. The genes responsible for neoteny in laboratory animals may have been identified, however they are not linked in wild populations, suggesting artificial selection is the cause of complete neoteny in laboratory and pet axolotls.

Unlike some other neotenic salamanders (Sirens and Necturus), Axolotls can be induced to metamorphose by an injection of iodine (used in the production of thyroid hormones) or by shots of thyroxine hormone. Another method for inducing transformation, though one that is very rarely successful, involves removing an axolotl in good condition to a shallow tank in a vivarium and slowly reducing the water level so that the axolotl has difficulty submerging. It will then, over a period of weeks, slowly metamorphose into an adult salamander. During transformation, the air in the vivarium must remain moist, and the maturing axolotl sprayed with a fine mist of pure water. The odds of the animal being able to metamorphose via this method are extremely small, and most attempts at inducing metamorphosis lead to death. This is likely due to the strong genetic basis for neoteny in laboratory and pet axolotls, which means that few captive animals have the ability to metamorphose on their own. Spontaneous metamorphosis has been known to occur very rarely, but attempts to do so artificially are best left to trained scientists. Artificial metamorphosis also dramatically shortens the axolotl's lifespan, if they survive the process. A neotenic axolotl will live an average of 10–15 years (though an individual in Paris is credited with achieving 25 years), while a metamorphosed specimen will scarcely live past the age of five. The adult form resembles a terrestrial Mexican Tiger Salamander, but has several differences, such as longer toes, which support its status as a separate species.

Last bit contradicts what I said earlier, but I have known of a salamander 15 years old...

A morphed axy is an unwanted organism so anyone who admits to having one and puts up a picture would have to be a blond.

man, that is so weird, those lists are based on scientific names, genus, etc. Morphed and Unmorphed are the same species...how can they be serious..mind you 'capybara'(sp?) was on the last list of reptiles in NZ..

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Why not?

I did ask this question in a german Axolotl forum after I did read in an english Axolotl book from 1981 that I could feed tadpoles to Axolotl. I nearly got lynched just for asking that question :an!gry . beside the danger to introduce chytrid fungus into your aquarium there is an enzim or chemical in tadpoles which they need for the metamophosis and this enzim or chemical can trigger the metamorphose in Axolotl as well if they eat tadpoles. in germany it is not against the law to keep morphed Axolotl (Salamander) but it is against the law to force them into metamorphosis. (and each and every native reptile or amphibian are protected by law and the fines are very high so no tadpoles from the pond for your pets)