Safe spray for WD's but will kill cockroaches

soloman5

I did vaguely think about selling them but I am not a big fan of the old cockroach. At the moment it's mainly a higene issue, they are on the bench and in the food cupboards, you are joined by them when having a bath too :lol: There must be alot of them as we see quite a few around the house during the day I hate to think how many there really are. :roll:

I would definately, definately, definately NOT feed them to your dragons.

You don't know where they have been, they could have crawled through old cockroach poison, eaten rat bait, eaten all kinds of horrible stuff harbouring parasites, which will end up in your dragon.

In general feeding your dragons stuff out of the garden is a pretty bad idea in my opinion, it may be cheaper, but you don't really know what you're getting.

I'd isolate dragons and locusts, and get the exterminators.

geez Tabz,lucky your not a girl ,you would be one of those drama queens?Crawled through poison(they would be dead??)stuff out of the garden probably has more food value and nutrient than the cultivated stuff you buy and generally pay through the nose for?Just use a bit of discretion and judgment about what you get and where you get it from.What do you think these things eat in the wild?Anything that they can out run that fits in their mouth.

We've moved onto a farm, where the last owner never used rat/mouse poison he had cats for that job, :lol: and by the amount of roaches we have here probably not alot of house sprays either. He was an older "back in the day" :wink: bloke who owned the farm, and by the state of the whole farm not alot has been done here for a good few years. On the upside lots and lots of bugs and creapy crawlies here that's for sure. :P:P

I would definately, definately, definately NOT feed them to your dragons.

You don't know where they have been, they could have crawled through old cockroach poison, eaten rat bait, eaten all kinds of horrible stuff harbouring parasites, which will end up in your dragon.

In general feeding your dragons stuff out of the garden is a pretty bad idea in my opinion, it may be cheaper, but you don't really know what you're getting.

I'd isolate dragons and locusts, and get the exterminators.

I read somewhere the other day as a good rule of thumb for wild caught bugs/live food "collect today feed tomorrow" sounds good ae :lol:

not sure many can be bothered but if you were worried about that then keepn them for 24hours or so may help get rid of any thing nasty they have eaten, good chance to gut load them to :)

but yea i know a guy selling crickets if you want peace of mind ;)

geez Tabz,lucky your not a girl ,you would be one of those drama queens?Crawled through poison(they would be dead??)stuff out of the garden probably has more food value and nutrient than the cultivated stuff you buy and generally pay through the nose for?Just use a bit of discretion and judgment about what you get and where you get it from.What do you think these things eat in the wild?Anything that they can out run that fits in their mouth.

no, not a drama queen, i'd just rather know exactly whats going into my dragon. Cockroaches are hardier than you think, if they had just crawled through a bit of poison, i doubt they would die straight away.

I'll agree with the 'catch today feed tomorrow' rule, if you really insist on feeding stuff out of the garden.

Oh, and in the wild, dragons have a life span half as long as in captivity, also they harbour a lot of parasites, in higher numbers than what ours do in captivity (all dragons have parasites in small numbers), and they also have a an immune system built up from birth to deal with them, unlike ours in captivity.

You gotta let go of the 'in the wild' thing, your dragon is not in the wild, so give it the best you can.

peace

Reminds me of people having kids and not letting them climb trees, play in the mud, ride a bike without a helmet, Tackle in rugby,etc

I'm sorry, but your dragon is hardly going to learn a lesson from getting really sick, it was said in a previous post, a dragon will eat what ever it can catch. It doesn't stop to assess whether it's a good idea to eat it or not. If you give it something with parasites to eat, and it gets infected, its your fault.

The dragon will eat the same thing next time if fed.

I like how that when someone gives their opinion, they get smacked down for it. Really makes me wanna hang around.

Peace

you seem to know alot.Do you also know all healthy animals can deal with certain levels of parasites?trying to keep them in a plastic bubble type environment is just like the ostrich with its head in the sand.Even the cultured locusts you buy are not gauranteed to be free of parasites.Do a google on mermithid nematode and wonder to yourself if you have fed any of those to your beardies.

recent studies have linked asthma to a too sterile environment in young children, thought to cause a lack of the bodies ability to build up immunities

Asthma is an over-reaction to stimuli by the lymphatic system. antibodies are created against harmless things in their environment (dust, pollen, etc). the over-reaction is stimulated when the environment is too sterile, and the immune system doesnt come into contact with enough foreign material. it is a lack of the body's immune system to be able to recognise what in its environment is harmful and what is not

you seem to know alot.Do you also know all healthy animals can deal with certain levels of parasites?trying to keep them in a plastic bubble type environment is just like the ostrich with its head in the sand.Even the cultured locusts you buy are not gauranteed to be free of parasites.Do a google on mermithid nematode and wonder to yourself if you have fed any of those to your beardies.

I mentioned before that all dragons carry parasites, it only becomes a problem when your animal becomes stressed etc, and they reach a dangerous level. I understand this completely, and it's not about keeping them in a bubble, its about being a responsible keeper and providing the best that you can to the best of your knowledge.

I don't buy cultured locusts, I buy crickets from one person, I have seen his breeding set up, and i know that he does his utmost to breed them to the best of his ability.

You are never going to be 100% but you can try.

• 1 year later...
Where can I buy cockroaches.

Bio supply no longer sell them due to low demand.

I am looking for a change of bug for my bearded dragon.

the same here, if any one has any info give me some please. and if u find any thing out tell please. thanks