Crypt Flower Project********(NEW FLOWER PICS ADDED)*********

supasi

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones pictured already are always flowering. But no new ones yet.

The water in my tank is heated to approx 26 degrees

As the tank is enclosed the air temp is about 23 degrees.The humidity needs to be kept up. Easy to do with gass cover.

Do it . Its well worth it to see them flower .

• 2 weeks later...

Got hold of another crypt that I never had. Crypt. Affinis.

Its actually not hard to find, but I never had it. Has started to grow emersed already.

Does anyone have any C.pontederiifolia I can buy?

I lost the one Caryl sent me and have not been able to revive it :cry:

It has a neat flower that I really want to get pics of. Please? Someone must have some.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I no longer measure the humidity but it is quite humid. There is constant water movement and the water is heated to approx 25 C

The tank is covered so the humidity stays high.

I dont spray them at all. Sometimes when some water drips from top of tank it causes the plants to start to melt. They are now conditioned to handle the conditions I provide. I currently have 5 different plants in flower with the becketti with two at the same time.

Its very cool. Would never have thought there would be a ... "insert correct term here" ... inside the "kettle".

IMG_3899-Copy.jpg

The lower part(on Left) is the female part, Pistel

The upper part(on right) is the male part, Stamen

The fleshy part above the Stamen is the valve. The purpose of this is to trap insects inside for several hours

Cryptocoryne becketti

beck.jpg

Inside the kettle

In the lower part of the inflorescense, usually named the kettle, the female and male flowers are arranged around the spadix. Bottom up, you see a circle of (mostly) 6 intergrown female flowers with pistil, style and stigma. Then follows a thin, naked (sterile) part of the spadix. On the top of the spadix there is a spiral with (say) 40 male flowers, mostly partly covered by the valve. The very top of the spadix is naked again.

Inside the circle of female flowers, just around the spadix, you see a couple of globular bodies. Its is said they are responsable for the (bad) smell of this aroid.

To get a look at the flowers, use a surgeon knife to cut away a part of the kettle. After some training its quite easy. The seam of the spathe ends on the the kettle just where the very top of the spadix ends.Bastmeijer

becktii4.jpg

This picture of beckettii demonstartes the parts of the kettle. Right side being the bottom.

The stamens consist of two pollensacks, each with a small, dark tube out. When the stamens ripens, the end of the tubes dissolves, letting out a drop with pollen.

Pollen droplet can be seen in above photo

Comparing C.walkeri"lutea"with C.wendttii

lutewend.jpg