Pitcher plants.

markvs

i have this 1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarracenia_purpurea

and this 1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarracenia_minor i guess the key to them is full sun and keep the soil wet (pot in a dish of water , if all else fails put them outside and keep the soil wet they will die back in winter and have new growth in summer most species will handle frost some even handle snow

I got a hybrid nepenthes, as well as a sarracenia and a cephalotus.

I posted a thread a year or so ago about a field trip to find NZ Native carnivarous plants. They are awsome plants to keep, and always start a conversation.

WANT THEM NOW!.

Can anyone send me a PM where i might be able to find them?

You can usually get them at local garden centre. Not at there best at the moment tho. I have a few, currently some are flowering and really amazing. The pitcher plant isn't as hardy as my others. Last winter I left them all in conservatory, but too cold and pitcher went very back over most of plant...this winter I left it in a box window in Kitchen and although slowed down growth, it stayed green and is beginning to get new growth. Just keep them in a dish of water. A bit of shingle in bottom can be used and keep water up about 2cm up side of plant container all summer .... good idea to have dish a bit bigger and deeper than youd normally use for size of planter as provides better humidity around plant and doesn't dry out as much. It will attract its own food by smell...you wont smell it...so don't be tempted to drop flies in the pitchers. Keep it well supported so pitchers hang in an upright position..looks quite cool with a realistic looking frog hanging amongst the pitchers... :D

There are a few people selling Nepenthes on TradeMe, also through the NZ Carnivorous society. We have some at work, but aren't ready to start selling them yet.

There are two different types of Nepenthes; highland and lowland. The lowland ones need constant warmth and humidity to stay healthy, the highland ones are a bit easier to grow.

If anyone wants some small ones PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Carnivorous plants are cool. I grow them in old fish tanks inside, some grow outside in full sun and some also on window sills depending on what type of conditions they like.

I'm going to the International Carnivorous Plants Society Conference in Sydney for a week then over to Perth WA for two weeks looking at CP's in the wild. Should be fun :)

Supasi,

Good to see that you are into native CP's and native fish. I have seen four types of sundews (Drosera) around MT Ruapehu, plus one bladderwort (Utricularia).

Supasi,

Good to see that you are into native CP's and native fish. I have seen four types of sundews (Drosera) around MT Ruapehu, plus one bladderwort (Utricularia).

Cheers Pete

Yeah Im into alsorts of things, much to the girlfriends disgust.

I plan to take another trip up ruapehu this summer to look at the Drosera plants again. Nothing better than studying something in its natural environment.

Supasi, how did I miss your thread last year??? I did a trip about the same time with PeteS and a few others looking at CPs on Ruapehu!

I have a few native CPs. I always like CPs then disvovered there were native ones - great to join the two loves! ;)

My native drosera:

spatulata, binata, arcturi, pygmaea (I think)

and a utriculata, not sure which.

Misc non-natives, can't remember all the names:

cephalotus, venus fry trap, drosera capensis, drosera binata variant: gigantea(?), several pinguiculas, several nepenthes, several sarracenias, including purpurea and leucophylla.

I wish I was more of a CP geek, but there is only so much time in the day :(