Does anyone know how to breed cats?

newfish

Ok odd questions... there will be some thinking don't they breed on there own. :o

But my mate wants to breed her girl (a siamese) to my dad's boy (a persian) :roll: but we are unsure as to how to go about it.

Any ideas would be great. :D

oh this would be SO much easier to write if my tabby wasn't trying to help me! :x :lol:

Well, first I would recommend they didn't breed them, as there are enough cats out there needing homes as is. Not to mention the slight odballness of mating a leggly, long nosed, short haired cat to a long haired, short nosed cat. Why??

If they are still all for it, your mate has a lot of reading to do on mating, pregnancies, what can go wrong, how to monitor a preggie cat and then the kittens and be prepared to fork out a lot of money if things happened to go wrong (ie an afterhours caesarean). Plus the increased chance her cat might get sick if something went wrong. Do lots and lots of reading on the internet (as I don't think you'll find registered breeders will be particularly keen to help you with this haha)

Also to note, will be that your Dads Persian should be screened first for PKD (polycystic kidney disease) as its hereditary in persians in particular and any cats that are used for breeding should be screened first to make sure they do not have a problem. I believe it involves an ultrasound of the kidneys.

Sorry to say, but they are going to be some ugly kittens!

At least in my mind...I'm thinking cats with long front legs, short back legs, short hair on the tail, fluffy body, short fur on the head, but fluffy ears, and a pointy nose....

According to my calculations and experience in breeding cats, the kittens will grow to look like this:

Siasian.jpg

This is more realistically what the offspring will look like...

Himalayan_cat_percy.jpg

There is already a specific breed of cat called the "Himalayan" which came about from crossing persians with siamese.

Flat face like a persian and the *POOF* fur..

Colours of a siamese.

I agree with the serious consideration of the necessity(sp) to breed.

If the desire is a case "just wanna see whatcha get", some research will give those answers without resorting to trying it yourself.

If you want a cat like the above picture there are Himalayan breeders around.

again i do agree with going to the RSPCA and getting your cats and dogs de-sexed.

however I do agree with breeders supporting the breeding of their cats, crossing thesee cats also makes the blood stronger.

Not necessarily, can also lead to all the incest problems being passed on an having an awesomely deformed incest cat ;)

This is more realistically what the offspring will look like...

Himalayan_cat_percy.jpg

There is already a specific breed of cat called the "Himalayan" which came about from crossing persians with siamese.

Flat face like a persian and the *POOF* fur..

Colours of a siamese.

Aw he's cute...that wasn't what I was picturing at all!

Until recently the cat was commonly believed to have been domesticated in ancient Egypt, where it was a cult animal. However a 2007 study found that all house cats are probably descended from a group of as few as five self-domesticating African Wildcats Felis silvestris lybica circa 8000 BC, in the Near East.

Hey guys thanks for thee advice and that..........

Loopy yes that's what we thought they would come out like.... though ours will likely be sightly darker in colour....

Thought has VERY much gone into this re homes for kittens......

my mate has already found homes for any possible kittens there maybe..... I will likely be one if there is any left. Her cats breeder is rather keen to have one as well.....

Both cats are Very nice natured ...... so possible kittens will make wonderful house cats!

I will let you know how it goes...... at the moment we are trying to get though the end of calving.....

again i do agree with going to the RSPCA and getting your cats and dogs de-sexed.

however I do agree with breeders supporting the breeding of their cats, crossing thesee cats also makes the blood stronger.

I completely agree with this. I think the only people that should breed there animals are registered breeders, we end up with too many "man made" creations. I have 2 pure breads of "natural" breeds (Egyptian Mau & Turkish Van) and both are fixed. My other is one that I hand raised from 1 week old after being abandoned.