SETI

Ianab

"Extraordinary Claims Demand Extraordinary Proof"

Beliefs based on personal preference and distrust of modern science despite the lack of any reliable evidence are not extraordinary proof. Mental illness or drug induced hallucinations are far more likely and provable causes for seeing your fish dancing around in your fish tank singing about salmon.

indeed, i agree, and my extraordinary proof has been my own experience, i used to be a complete skeptic myself, until i saw this happen...

as for mental illness and drug induced hallucination... ill leve those to other people. i know what i saw, and that is that.

now you can either try and open your mind to the slightest possibility that it might be true, or you can make yourselves sleep better at night by occluding yourself and bagging out other people... your choice. but dont try insult my intelligence, if anything, its an isult to yourself that you cant accept any other theories other than those fed to you by media/ government/ society.

So the big black cross just showed up above your place, just for you, then went back the planet Cryton??? :roll:

A long way to go for that. I would think that if it did happen, and they were from a super advanced space race, so good that they can materialise without any of our militaries noticing, they would have the capacity to scan earth and discover what they needed to without showing themselves to your family.

Sorry, but very sceptical about these things.

Why wouldn't they visit? There's nothing like actually visiting something for yourself, to experience it first hand rather than just gathering and analysing any data they might collect. I'm sure if humans had the technology to visit far away places they would, rather than just send a probe to scan the planet and collect information. We have no idea what kind of technologies they may have created. Just because humans can't comprehend the sort of technologies that would be required to travel the vast distances of space, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't possible.

On the other hand, who's to say that there were in fact aliens on board?? Perhaps it was their probe scanning the earth.

Whats the point in trying to explain, you've already made up your mind like usual.

Operation Paperclip

What do you mean Like usual?? This isn't discussing mh vs t5s, or other tank matters, in which I certainly do have an open mind and opinions, and alot of experience and success in.

You have made a statement, somewhat offensive, that my life (and everyones else), my so called reality is a total lie. Tell me, what part, my kids, family, house, thoughts and dreams, what?

And the easy and common way for people like yourself is to rant away that everyones mind is closed, so no point offering any proof or even discuss anything cause we are all part of a huge reality shift that only our governments know about. I know FMXMatt, call everyone ignorant, offer no proof, ask us to supply proof that you are WRONG, and then leave the argument - oops too late.

Why wouldn't they visit? There's nothing like actually visiting something for yourself, to experience it first hand rather than just gathering and analysing any data they might collect. I'm sure if humans had the technology to visit far away places they would, rather than just send a probe to scan the planet and collect information. We have no idea what kind of technologies they may have created. Just because humans can't comprehend the sort of technologies that would be required to travel the vast distances of space, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't possible.

On the other hand, who's to say that there were in fact aliens on board?? Perhaps it was their probe scanning the earth.

So, they would just visit a small area in sth africa then go??

And most humans can comprehend technolgies required to travel interstellar distances, not that hard really. Don't get me wrong, I honestly believe there is other life in the universe, but when we start getting into alternate realities and the like, please.

And I too Cricketman would like to see something like that and yes, it would change my thinking about that particular subject.

i am a sceptic and believe nothing till i have seen it with my own eyes

schooled towards a zoology degree, but left school to wander in my life

i have seen and experienced many things that people may call extraordinary and depending on the company some experiences will not be told, as judgements can be passed

i am still a sceptic but respect other peoples experiences as a reality to them

ps, i would love to meet an alien or a ghost, it will probably remove some more of my doubts

What do you mean Like usual?? This isn't discussing mh vs t5s, or other tank matters, in which I certainly do have an open mind and opinions, and alot of experience and success in.

You have made a statement, somewhat offensive, that my life (and everyones else), my so called reality is a total lie. Tell me, what part, my kids, family, house, thoughts and dreams, what?

And the easy and common way for people like yourself is to rant away that everyones mind is closed, so no point offering any proof or even discuss anything cause we are all part of a huge reality shift that only our governments know about. I know FMXMatt, call everyone ignorant, offer no proof, ask us to supply proof that you are WRONG, and then leave the argument - oops too late.

:roll:

Next time i'm up your way, how bout I stop past, admire your tank, and then try to explain what I'm on about over some beers. It wasn't meant to be offensive, but you have helped me prove a point to someone :)

And most humans can comprehend technolgies required to travel interstellar distances, not that hard really. Don't get me wrong, I honestly believe there is other life in the universe, but when we start getting into alternate realities and the like, please.

And I too Cricketman would like to see something like that and yes, it would change my thinking about that particular subject.

I've gotta disagree with a few of your points. :)

Most people cannot comprehend interstellar scale - just how vast, and mostly empty, the observable universe is. And how can you comprehend technologies that, by current scientific thinking, are impossible? It's one thing to say "Sure, I understand it's four and a half years to the next solar system if you go at light speed", but do people actually realise how fast that really is, what's involved in almost getting to that speed, and how far away that really is?

Considering alternate realities, there's always the many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory, and that's not some crackpot, loopy theory, it's science.

As for your first point, how can we know the motives or thinking of an alien race? Their way of thinking could be totally, well, alien, and incomprehensible to us, and their actions could seem pointless or otherwise messed-up.

Not having a go at you personally, just a bit of debate :)

I want to believe

The truth is out there :) Anyone else seen the new movie? No aliens :(

:roll:

Next time i'm up your way, how bout I stop past, admire your tank, and then try to explain what I'm on about over some beers. It wasn't meant to be offensive, but you have helped me prove a point to someone :)

Look forward to it, just stop rolling you eyes and sighing, given its you with these somewaht alternative theories on life.

i think this is one of those topics where people just have to agree to dis agree, i know where i stand, you know where you stand, simple as that.

just when someone re-counts a life experience in future, lets all be bigger people and not bag it completely.

umm... apparently they did... isnt that what i said? did i stutter?

if you want to talk intentions, talk to an alien, i am meerly an observer, as are millions of other people around the world, including my family.

You have made a statement, somewhat offensive, that my life (and everyones else), my so called reality is a total lie.

read back in the post... pot calling the kettle black hmm??

cos some of your posts i have found somewhat offensive too...

where??

Is this offensive...

Not bagging you, but I can see why you were reluctant to post it. If I was to see that (and therefore become less sceptical ) i'd wonder how to tell others as well.

Frankly i wish we did get an alien visit in my lifetime, now that would be a moment in time eh!

There are others bagging you here, more so from me, i was having a discussion moreso with FMXMatt than you.

I have said it alot on this thread, if i had an experience like yours I'd believe, wheres the bagging. Others have said the same, get over it.

The thing about SETI and UFOs is a slim connection.

UFO = Unidentified Flying Object.

Cricketman has seen an object, in the sky (so it was flying) and couldnt identify it. Hence it's a UFO. That doesn't mean ET was riding in it, but again.. who knows. I sure dont, and he's not sure. If we KNEW it was a MODEL 37 Flying Saucer.. then it wouldn't be Unidentified any more would it :wink:

What SETI does is analyse Radio Telescope signals for anomolous signals. It's real science, maybe nothing will be found, but at least we looked. The amazing thing about the project is it's the biggest computer project ever, about a million CPUs working together from all over the world

Cheers

Ian

I just started up seti@home again a couple days ago. Only getting about an average credits of 23! :o

It takes about 20 days for your average credit to even out.

A P4 2ghz machine running 24/7 will settle out about 300 credits. My Quad core should run about 3,000, but there are single PCs running over 8,000.

But any credit you generate is helping the project.

Be warned, you will be sucked into the vortex. :-?

Ian

Edit: look on the message boards for the optimised applications. You have to do some messing about to install them, but they will usually double the amount you can process.

After seeing what seti does for power consumption, no, wont be running it again.

Perhaps if one was to have a watercooled PC with the heat going to an aquarium but thats effort and still not worth it just to be in a list of people with more scores, its like car envy for computer geeks

Interestingly, I put a watt meter on my PC...Idle power was 220ish watts, playing a game that should stress the CPU and video card was 260ish. :-?

Yeah.. A high end game machine will draw over 200w, but you can run the program as a background task and only draw about 30 watts more than idle. You dont have to run the machine 24/7

But my box with no monitor draws 50watts idle and 80watts running at 100%, so thats not so bad. That box will do 4 average work units in about an hour and has a RAC of 2,710 and still climbing. It was built to run the SETI task, but I use it as my daily PC too.

But most sane people dont put new Q6600 CPUs in a basic system :-?

Ian