lighting for fire bellied newts

snake kid

Hi guys I've got my terrarium set up for my fire bellied newt (except for the heater) it has heaps of stuff to hide on/in/under just wondering as a universal water temprature of 18 degrees I have seen peoples tanks with a pilot light on the top of there tanks is this just for lighting or is it for heating? and if so how much money should I spend on it and what temprature should I keep it at thanks! :D

Snake kid WHO state that your room should be a minium of 15 degs for it to be health.

I dont have a heater and I have seen several tanks without one.

Also I have seen tanks with and without lights.

They dont sem to like the light..hmmm where have I heard that before?

Anyway....Lights needed if you have real plants...maybe.

Not for Newts.

HTH

Navarre

Light not needed but if you want plants to grow a fluro does the trick otherwise anywhere indoors just try avoid direct sun on tank especially afternoon sun :)

heater not needed either (imo more trouble than theyre worth) keeping them cool in summer is more an issue and if u want them to breed youd be better of without a heater, also go easy on places for them to hide as you will hardly ever see them (especially if young newts)

good setup for first year or so;

plastic tank ($20)

rock or driftwood for them to climb on

oxygen weed/indian fern

2-3inchs of water

other than feeding, sorted...... :lol:

hey snake kid can i make a suggestion? its not to be mean or nasty and i apologize if i sound like that but........

i suggest you keep to the one thread so that all the information is in the one place so you can read through it and know were to find the thread

listen to what has been suggested i didn't and had a hard time getting my newts back but there doing fine now since following the advice

no heaters and no lights unless very weak as they can dry? the newts out and because there nocturnal? not to mention the heat they will be fine

and like mince described small tank a rock or wood to climb on and a few inches of water and some of those plants your terrarium would be better when they are bigger?

some one correct me if i am wrong i think your going to enjoy working with the newts aye and another thing always wash your hands after wards if you absolutely must touch the newts for some reason

A heater is good if it is very cold at night. I sold some which were killed overnight because it was too cold. A heater at 18 degrees solved the problem because even though they may not be in the water it raises the background temperature. When a bit older they will be more tolerent of the cold. I have 2 x 8 watt flouros in mine to grow real plant but you are best to get low light plants anyway.