Native Fish Hunt Syndrome

Stella

I WANNA GO FISH HUNTING!!!!!

It is cold and wet and the streams are up and the have been for weeks, and I just BOUGHT A SPOTLIGHT (finally) and I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GO FISH HUNTING!!!!! :x

Just had to get that off my chest.

Thanks to Supasi for the diagnosis.

BTW the spotlight I got was a new Energiser 3watt LED one, lasts 3hours on a full (12hour) charge and the shines a beam over 300 metres! It is amazingly focused, so I think it will cut through the water well. I wanna try out my new toy! Shining it on the neighbours' homes doesn't quite cut it....

I'd be interested in tagging along. I'd like to see how to catch them alive as the only way ive ever hunted native fish before was eels with a spear, and they arent much good in the aquarium after that (good in the smoker though :D )

Let me know if you want an extra pair of gumboots :)

PREACHER: It is indeed a rechargeable one, and surprisingly light and small! It was $90 on special at Bunnings at the weekend, full price was a little over $100.

(And you can scare people by aiming it at their cars and looking like a cop with a speed detector! ;) )

Same as this, only it is silver not yellow, and doesn't have the shoulder strap (us Kiwis are tougher and don't need one?)

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/i/4x12/Energ ... Ref-628330

Olly, will definitely let you know!

I just talked to my friend Pete who is always up for fish hunting, and this weekend, possibly Saturday night (weather dependent only). Who else is keen? :)

Bet its not as good as my hunting spotlight,hehe

Although it drains the batt pretty fast, bout 40 mins continuous use.

I would be real keen to come out with you when you go Stella. So long as it not a weeknight as Id have to travel to Palmy first then back.

Just need this damn rain to go away.

Hahaha. Glad I'm not the only one! Since discovering a large dead goldfish and wondering what it was, I have been out looking in every handy stream and creek. Its totally addictive. I got a small stream 50meters from the house. Guess what? Its chocka with small brown trout! I would never have guessed. At first I thought they were kokopu, but last night I positivly identified them as trout. I'm gonna need another tank.... a BIG one!

So that explains it. I have MTS and NFHS :lol: .

Well spring is just around the corner and I can see some Father and Son (8yrs) bonding coming up in the next school holidays 8) . If only I could find a nice rocky stream that wasn't part of the regional parks as I'd like to get something other than Inanga :) . If I can't, at least we can have fun spotting critters up in the Waitakere Ranges :D .

(But we should be able to get some more bullys from the stream leading to the beach. :D )

OK anyone who is keen to come fish hunting this weekend, this is the plan:

MEETING: 7pm, my place.

VISITING: Turitea Stream by Massey (Bledisloe Park) then Kahuterawa Stream

(if the streams are up we can just look for native snails and other critters!)

REQUIRED: Gumboots, Torch (no matter how pathetic, at very least should stop you tripping over in the dark), Some seriously warm clothes!

This will trip be entirely weather dependent.

Supasi, if you are keen to come, there is a comfortable couch available should you prefer to go back the next day.

IMPORTANT: If you care coming, please drop me a PM with your phone number in case I need to call it off, and I shall reply with my address.

YAY FOR NFHS!!! ;) :bounce:

Ok so first up, I omitted to say that the spotlighting is SATURDAY NIGHT.... :oops:

So far Olly and Museeumchick are really, really, really keen, and Supasi is keen but needs to ask for permission ;)

Now, the weather is looking.... better than the previous few months.... but there is a little rain scheduled for thursday and more for saturday. I usually find the weather comes later than initially predicted, so let's hope for the best!

(I did do an awesome trip with friends looking for native snails one miserable cold soggy evening and had a fabulous time, so we may still go even if the weather is crap.)

I will get in touch on the day if we need to change the plan at all, thanks for PM-ing your phone numbers.

I am keen to start taking some videos on these trips to put on youtube to show others. Spotlighting probably won't be ideal, but will give it a go. Oooh, just remembered I have a video of a banded kokopu in a stream I saw once while spotlighting.... maybe I shall have to create that login sooner!

Exciting! :bounce:

I have my fingers crossed. The weather has been great all week. Today it rained in the morning while but it has been clear since. If tomorrow is similar or better I am totally up for it! :)

Of course if the weather is crappy I will let you know in advance if we should call it off.

I am so looking forward to blinding some unsuspecting fishies! ;)

Got spare batt for torch and charging the spotlight as I type.

Dammit Ive lost one of my nets, but found some more cookie time buckets,hehe.

Looking forward to it, so Stella, dont uncross your fingers.

Have you been for a looksie to see the state of the local streams yet?

Spoke to a guy that drove up from Wellys and he said the rivers looked a bit murky, but then who's he to judge :x:wink:

Hi Supasi, great that you are so keen! :) How are those Cran's of yours?

I will definitely get back to you in good time on the state of the streams. Fingers staying crossed between now and then! All gods on standby.

I imagine we won't do a whole lot of catching (it tends to involve getting wet, not so good in winter) but will probably catch a few. Pete and I have some good nets to share anyway. CookieTime buckets sound ideal! Not so cumbersome as a 10lt, and they have a lit and a handle!

(pete, did you remember to put your spotlight onto charge? I look forward to challenging you with my light sabre! I do think yours is more powerful, but mine will keep going and going and going! :wink: 8) :lol:

On the way home tonight from work the Turitea Stream by Massey was a bit high & murky. But things can change in twelve hours. We could go Native Critter Hunting up the Kahuterawa track if you are all keen.

Stella,

Yes the spotlight has been on charge, I have heard that the duration of the spotlight is better then the size of the spotlight beam, :-P :-) :wink:

oops, I should have sent a message here as well... I did let Olly, Museeumchick and Supasi know that it was off. It rained from about 5 minutes after I sent that message till nightfall.... very disappointing!

However, Pete and I did make a quick stop at the Turitea stream, we had a farewell to go to that night and finally left at 1am and still wanted to take my new light sabre for a quick spin.

The stream was up of course, not quite as turbid as I expected. The spotlight was AWESOME though, it goes for miles and cuts through the water pretty well. I really look forward to using it when the water is more amenable to fish spotting.

We did manage to find three big bullies on a small section of the beach where the water was rather less swift. I think they were probably Cran's bullies.

I will of course let you know when I am going out next! I should make a list of interested folk to let know if it happens suddenly.