Who Atched the Olmpic Opening Ceremony

Wok

I watched up until paper then fell asleep so went to bed lol. I knew they invited gun powder in the back of my mind but not the rest of it. Pretty awesome really. I loved the 2008 guys banging on the clay instruments with the lights and stuff. That was amazing. Especially when they started doing the numbers countdown. Spectacular.

Was amazing, can only imagine how breathtaking and humbling it would be to stand there as an athlete representing your country. :hail: Couldn't help but think of the fireworks as masses of $$$$$ burning away in the sky though! and the smog :-? but still...WOW :hail:

Was amazing, can only imagine how breathtaking and humbling it would be to stand there as an athlete representing your country. :hail: Couldn't help but think of the fireworks as masses of $$$$$ burning away in the sky though! and the smog :-? but still...WOW :hail:

I didn't watch it but have seen highlights, and amazing as it all was I couldn't help but wonder if that $60bn could have been spend on other things like helping the huge number of people living in poverty in China.

Oh well, they impressed the round-eyes, never mind the smog, or Tibet. :lol:

It was amazing. :o The dancing display was much better than watching the athletes go round. The bit when the globe came up from under the stage with dancers suspended on robes running round. I was abit concerned when the globe turned red though. Also right at the start when they counted down from ten with people making the numbers. The organisment of all those especicaly when were in those small boxes and moving up and down to make patterns. But that really said something about china's human rights. :lol:

I think the four things were a bit pc and I would have put other things insted of those but il keep quiet.

I watched and was impressed. But Wok, I think you got the 4 things wrong. I got confused because they also included movable type which, according to my fingers, comes to 5 great inventions. Perhaps paper and paint were included as 1 item. :) :) :)

Was really an amazing display. :bounce: I loved the drums and the count-down as well as the scroll unravelling...and the fireworks foot prints were pretty incredible. HUGE amount of organisation...Would be fantastic to be in the stadium with all that atmosphere. :D (Minus the smog)

wow it was just INCREDIBLE yea those sliding boxes were amazing making those images and the drummers. i would've liked a bit more thundering of the drums though with them building it up eg one quarter of them do one bit, next quarter another, until they're all just going crazy.

lol @ atched...... well they do call it the bird's nest right? gotta 'atch' something

agree the money should have been spent else were bettering the lives of so many of there population

Haha you can say that the money want well sent, but it was probably better spent than the US space program. they spent how many billion to discover there was water on Mars, and that was after they spent several billion to discover there was ice. if there is ice there is water- go figure!

by placing themselves on the world map and thus bettering the economy, surely this will better the lives of there people?

Can I be a little pedantic and say they have been on the world map for a few centuries already, and are they not one of the main producers atm?

With this their political history and record is particularly shady when judged using a western democratic standard.

Haha you can say that the money want well sent, but it was probably better spent than the US space program. they spent how many billion to discover there was water on Mars, and that was after they spent several billion to discover there was ice. if there is ice there is water- go figure!

well it's not that simple my friend :) also when the asteroid comes (and it will come) will you suddenly wish we invested in life elsewhere? only the emos will be happy if we didn't :D

guys guys guys you gotta keep it in perspective here. ppl always say the money could've been spent somewhere else.....course it could've been! could've been spent on nukes too but i'm sure glad it went into a truly humbling and inspiring event that only occurs every 4 years. you can't get too distressed about that. reduce it down to a micro level, the movie theatre could have plastic chairs and donate the money they spent on plush comfortable seats to charity. Just a few thoughts ;)

by placing themselves on the world map and thus bettering the economy, surely this will better the lives of there people?

Hah! Perhaps in a developed nation where human rights are placed above money....

Oh yeah, where was Tibet in the opening ceremony, or had I just dozed off around Taiwan? :lol:

lol, im chinese and i dont really care about the tibets or the taiwans, they are just fellow "asians" to me, but its them who has all these protests and hostility. the chinese government might be pricks but most of us arnt. how many of you ever seen "pro-chinese" parades throutgh midtown...

and the olympics was MEAN $100mil usd forked out on the ceremony alone!!! and do you guys know what the 5 mascots are??