Fresh water shrimp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they didn't look like the ones in thoose pictures but the photo was so small that I wasn't sure. What ones are hard to breed in captivity the Paratya curvirostris or the mysis shrimp?

Paratya curvirostris are the NZ freshwater shrimp so out of the 2 i'm guessing it's the one you need brackish water to breed in and so it's the harder one?

I was wanting some but then I converted my small coldwater tank to tropical after my koura died so never got a chance to keep some :(

i collect them from a stream on farland about ten minutes out from ragaln.all i do is run a net through the weed and normally i get 20-30 on each sweep.try and run your net under the over hanging weed as this is where you will get the greatest success.good luck

I have about 30 in my 300L tank. They only seem to really come out when I do a water change and move around the tank in small groups. Quite cute really, The large females have different colourations and patterns. Some have stripes, some are kinda a light brown/orange, some with black spots. Oddly though I hardly ever see the big females and I have no idea where they hide. Never seen them breed but I've only been keeping them for about 5 months.

One got sucked down the hose and out onto the lawn during last weeks water change, usually they're fast and avoid the vaccum, 10 minutes before I found it crawling across the ground! Put it back in the tank and he seems perfectly fine.

Definitely worth keeping!

Sweet I'll go hunting today. Did you keep salt in the tank? Are these glass / ghost shrimp? I can't get any info off the internet and it really annoys me (and probably you when I ask all these questions)

They're freshwater shimp, that I keep in cold freshwater lol

Caught them here in Tauranga, Don't really intend on breeding them as will just go back and get more when the weather warms up.

And I don't mind your questions! I like being helpful :bounce:

When I caught them there was a whole community under one large rock... And I just took my tank nets and fished them out one by one.

They are also found in and around rocks in shallow water, usually slow moving and full of algae I've found.

They're freshwater shimp, that I keep in cold freshwater lol

yeah but they can be kept in salty water. I went down and it was fast moving water about 50cms deep in the deepest part. The weeds had been washed away. were they around the edges? I hope I can find some :cry: they're sooo cool. I'll take a torch down and see if there eyes shine in the light (worth a try I suppose :roll: )

I had another look seen it's darker but I couldn't see properly with with half flat torch :roll: :lol: . I'll look tommorow when theres light. I found about 10 koura (sp) in about 5 mins. Does that mean theres probably shrimp in there?

this tread is interesting as i fully want to get some little shrimp. i have seen them used in competitions and they really add that wow factor, would these adjust to higher temperatures?

They do but I'd argue that's cruelty. They aren't naturally found in water the same temperature as tropical tanks...