Would these make a dog sick?

Dixon1990

you might have to give the puppy water through a syringe or similar - not drinking is going to make it worse. it does need to flush it out whatever it is.

I would have thought that if it was plastic causing the problem the vet would have checked.

Normally with "No food," fluids (i.e. water) is always allowed. Such as it is with humans and fasting for bloodtests and such, water is a necessity and they wouldn't expect you to give your pooch none

Ignore that, I just re-read what you actually said - my bad!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs do sweat - from the pads in their feet. There are also glands located all over the body that produces sweat.

Though depending on the amount of tonic salt your dog ingested that could be a major cause, too much salt for any creature is bad. As our cells are mainly water based and so when heaps of salt is ingested, the cells try to absorb the salt to create an equilibrium of the inside and outside of cells. This however causes the cells to swell to a hypertonic state and can cause them to burst (as it just keeps on ingesting the salt to equalise the concentration). This is why when you're a shipwreck survivor when you drink salt water it always kills you faster. Best to wait it out and try to be rescued.

Okay, dog's don't sweat to cool down (they pant) therefore they sweat very little, therefore lose very little salt, therefore it take's very little to make them sick.

Dog sweat

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/7929

Salt

Dog and cat if consume about one teaspoon of salt can be seriously sick, because salt changes how liquid holds in your pet's body. In some cases, it causes swelling in your pet's brain. This causes your pet tremor, and seizure, and sometimes death.

From here

http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Five-Foods-That-Can-Make-Your-Pet-Sick.50984

Okay, dog's don't sweat to cool down (they pant) therefore they sweat very little, therefore lose very little salt, therefore it take's very little to make them sick.

Dog sweat

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/7929

From here

http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Five-Foods-That-Can-Make-Your-Pet-Sick.50984

The sweat from their pads is too cool them down. But I didn't know that about salt - thats really interesting, kinda like the big rant I went on about the cells and what not.

They are lowering the morphine on drip and they are wanting to see if its the morphine thats Bringing down the pain and letting ger walk or if she is just getting better. If its the morphine, they will be doing Keyhole surgery to see whats going on.As her main pain is around her stomach.

No doubt we will be getting a big bill, but it will be worth it, She is only 8 months old still.

SSPX0204.jpg

No doubt we will be getting a big bill, but it will be worth it,

My dog was poisoned recently and she was on a drip and catheter for 48 hrs to 'flush' her system. I had a biggish bill but it was worth every penny. Good luck with yours. By the sounds of it she's over the worst.

So after eating all the stuff in the fish cupboard the illness has nothing to do with it?? :roll:

At least they know what it is and can, I assume, treat it successfully.

My daughter's new kitten has cost her over $1,000 in vet bills (inc being spayed and micro chipped) only to discover it has some feline incurable disease and will not live for much longer. It is only 6 months old and will not make it's first birthday :cry:

Sorry to hear about that kitten :(

I hope the bill doesnt cost too much for 'Eevee's treatment, but if it does doesnt matter really, Things like this should just be cheaper though, we paind $547 or something like that for 2 nights stay and mporhine on drip at the 24 hour place :(

Sorry to hear about that kitten :(

I hope the bill doesnt cost too much for 'Eevee's treatment, but if it does doesnt matter really, Things like this should just be cheaper though, we paind $547 or something like that for 2 nights stay and mporhine on drip at the 24 hour place :(

My cat had a gaping wound that he had ripped open from drains that had been placed into his leg to drain an abscess, though I didn't see it until like 8pm at night so I rushed him to the 24hour vet and they told us to wait until the morning and take him to our regular vet. Still charged us around $80 for the visit though.

My cat had a gaping wound that he had ripped open from drains that had been placed into his leg to drain an abscess, though I didn't see it until like 8pm at night so I rushed him to the 24hour vet and they told us to wait until the morning and take him to our regular vet. Still charged us around $80 for the visit though.

Yip, that's After Hours for you.