Incubating Bangaii Cardinal Eggs (Not Safe For DialUp)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok.

Members of the other major NZL fish site will be aware that I am working on my first attempt at incubating bangaii cardinal eggs. The eggs were stripped from my male at day 5 post spawn. A typical incubation period with the father is about 25-28 days.

These are some photos of them so far. I have just reached day 20.

Some of the images aren't the clearest. But the eggs are about 1-2mm in size and are constantly moving through 2 layers of glass (1 curved). So it's difficult to get nice in focus shots.

Day 8 Post Spawn (3 Days Incubation)

BangaiiEggs01.jpg

Day 9 Post Spawn

BangaiiEggs02.jpg

Day 17 Post Spawn

BangaiiEggs03.jpg

BangaiiEggs04.jpg

Day 18 Post Spawn

YouTube Video

Day 19 Post Spawn

BangaiiEggs05.jpg

BangaiiEggs06.jpg

Hopefully you enjoy. I will post full details of my incubation setup once the babies have developed further. And with a list of changes I would make (they keep bloody escaping!)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
wow zaita thats very cool

how many fry have you got in total

and have you had any losses

Got about 25, have had 4 losses total since stripping.

Guest Anonymous

Firstly, thanks everyone :) If any of you have the chance to try this I highly recommend it. Being able to watch them develop from an orange ball into a mini-bangaii is quite amazing.

YEAHHHA BABY! lol! :lol:

First in NZ maybe? :wink:

Lucid said they look so much better in person. :lol:

First Ornamental Marine fish to be Artificially Incubated in NZL (unless someone else can show me otherwise?).

I do not know if any FW fish have been AI'd before. I have no experience with FW fish.

And yes, they do look HEAPs better in real life. I'll borrow flatmates camera and lens to see if I can get some better photos. But they are all of 3mm long, so there are going to be limitations to what you can do without busting out a microscope (i am not prepared to remove them from water for this).

I think I have only had 3 losses now. I thought one was dead last night, but couldn't find it this morn. So I am assuming it just fainted (they turn white and look dead). Must've scared itself :P

Congratulations :D

There is a lady here in Napier who has bred Bangaii Cardinals, don't think they were artifically incubated tho... not sure... But I know the feeding and care of them as a pretty full on task.. Good Luck with the little guys :D

Guest Anonymous
Congratulations :D

There is a lady here in Napier who has bred Bangaii Cardinals, don't think they were artifically incubated tho... not sure... But I know the feeding and care of them as a pretty full on task.. Good Luck with the little guys :D

There are quite a few hobbyists in NZL who have raised BC's after the father has held them full term. Unfortunately, alot of male BC will not hold full-term and either spit the eggs or eat them.

To me, AI is going to be better for my male, and for me in the long run. He only has to starve for 5-7 days before I strip him. After that he can get straight back to eating for the next batch.

People overseas have incubated them (maybe half a dozen). But places like USA have alot of issues we don't experience in NZL (like hydroids). This provides us with a nice base to start raising fish/inverts etc.

I would like to try Cleaner Shrimps at some point, but they have a settlement time of approx 140days

Mystic: lol yea, when feeding them you have to be careful too apparently. Mine won't be ready to eat for another day or 2 I think. Just getting some practice in with BBS before then :D

Guest Anonymous
How great is this!! Well done, make sure you update so we can all see the progress!!!

Thanks guys :D This is my first time breeding fish (of any kind) so I am trying to make a good go of it.

Day 20 Post Spawn. Only 4 left to hatch.

Some of the gang.

BangaiiEggs07.jpg

Guest Anonymous
how long have you had the parents and what size are they

I've had male since October. Female since about Feb I'd say. Maybe 5-7cm long head to tail. They were tiny when I got them.

Guest Anonymous
How about a picture of Mum and Dad?? :lol:

I'll dig up a photo of mum and dad tonight. I should have some lying around. They tend to avoid the camera (not like the clownfish :P)

Hey Canmbron...like the finger poke thingy...yes i am quite keen :lol: I just had a look at your set up,... wow :bow: can't wait till I can move my reef into my 6ft fish only tank. I am not as technical as you blokes...not many tanks around here for me to go and look at. When I am next in CHCH I will look some of you up and come and pester you!! :roll: :bounce:

Guest Anonymous
Hey Canmbron...like the finger poke thingy...yes i am quite keen :lol: I just had a look at your set up,... wow :bow: can't wait till I can move my reef into my 6ft fish only tank. I am not as technical as you blokes...not many tanks around here for me to go and look at. When I am next in CHCH I will look some of you up and come and pester you!! :roll: :bounce:

Was it my reef you looked at? If so, Then alot of the photos are out of date now. I have since had to pull all the LR out (to remove a Lunare Wrasse) and removed all my SPS (but my Plating monti) and acquired some more LPS/Softies and Fish :P

Guest Anonymous

Here is a photo of Dad from April

Bangaii01.jpg

He was actually holding eggs during this photo :)

Edit: Notice the ninja Chromis in the bottom left :hail:

What is LR?? My launar wrass died from old age, thats why I will be able to transferre my reef into the big tank. Plating monti?? Sorry for my ignorance :oops: :oops: :oops: Have you got new pictures?? Hey I loved the picture of DAD, Zaita, thanks for that. :bow: nice fishy!!