my female guppie getting white spots

fishoe

Funnily enough its called whitespot

1. Turn tank temp up (say 28ish)

2. White spot rememdy ASAP

3. Dose every tank that has a fish with any signs of it

4. Continue treatment for a week, do gravel vacs whenever you can to pick up the cysts

Need to dose soon because the drug kills the hatching disease, not the white spot that's already on the fish. Takes around 7 days usually. Warmer the tank the shorter it takes. Make sure to do it for at least a week, and make sure no carbon in your filter, even if it looks like its gone there can still be cysts in the gravel ready to hatch and start again.

It can kill quite fast, so don't fluff around (quite fast as in a couple of days, not minutes or anything)

just been lfs and the guy told me to put in tonic a general cure

active ingredients methylene blue

all the water turned blue the lfs didnt tell me this. also bottle has directions for use but doesnt say how long to leave it in the tank only amount to put in :-?

It will turn the water a dark blue. Does the bottle only suggest one dose? I thought most had you add so much first day then more on successive third days or something. Sorry, I don't have a bottle here to see.

Keep an eye on the males that they don't have whitespot too or you will have to treat them and their tank too. Probably only the poor stressed out female though at this point.

Make sure you have removed any carbon inserts from your filters as they will absorb the meds.

I only set up the tank less than 2 months. found the first white spot a week ago on one of the swordtails, but didn't take it seriously (bad decision!). Now, that swordtail who oringinally got it looks perfectly OK, but 5 guppies got it (2 of them just died yesterday :( ). Got a thing called "White Spot Cure" from LFS the day before yesterday. the instruction on the label is 2 drops per liter. It says one dose is enough, but 3 doses maximum, unless there's a full water change between the 3rd and the 4th dose.

first of all, I think it's very easy to over-dose. Here's why: I've got a 75 liter tank, so according to the instruction, I should put 150 drops. Wrong!!! It's a 75 liter tank alright, but I've got about 2 inch gravel and 2 big rocks, plus it's heavy planted, so really, there's only about 60 liter water in the tank. So I could have over-dosed by 25%!!! no wonder when I search the internet, lot of people don't trust chemical as they had the experience of killing all the fish in the tank.

I did lot of search on the internet, and lots of articles suggest the instructions on the label could be as much as 250% over dosed. So this was what I did: on day one, i put 60 drops (half of the dose suggested), on day two, I did a vacuum together with 10% water change and added another 30 drops. I'm day 3 at the moment. I've noticed that those 3 guppies that got the spots now have less on them!!!

I'm planning to do another vacuum tomorrow and put another 90 drops in will keep you updated on how I go.

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to allow for substrate, rocks and decorations when working our volume.

I will assume the white spot was a result of too many fish to start in a new tank otherwise it is also important to know why they got white sopt in the first place. If you do not correct the cause, they will get it again... and again... and again...

I understand that white spot can get into the tank when you change water. The cysts are in the water and most town supply treatments do not get rid of them. Some whitespot cures have more of the blue than others. It occurs in my tank once or twice every 3-4 months. That is why I dont have clown loaches. They are very prone to getting whitespot. :(

• 1 month later...
The cysts are in the water and most town supply treatments do not get rid of them....It occurs in my tank once or twice every 3-4 months. :(

I kind of just thought whitespot is an infection from stress, injury, infection etc. Is it something carried in the water? I use tapwater and rainwater from Wellington - any idea if this could have white spot in it?

I found a gup tonight with 1 whitespot - could have been whitespot, or an infection as she had been scratched and scraped on something. I euthanised her (because of her other injuries). I've never had whitespot in my tanks before and see no reason why I'd get it now - so, is it really in the water?