Hmmm what to do!?

rollergirl

So my boy is in the process of upgrading his 4-foot bay window reef tank to a huge mother of a 6 foot, and me being a lucky lass gets to inherit the 4 footer :D:hail: Hurrah!!! (well I did get him into the hobby in the first place, which I'm sure his wallet thanks me for... hehe).

The question is- what to do with it? I already have a 2-foot cube reef tank (that I just recently upgraded to) so not after another reef...the options that I'm thinking of are either cold water marines, or fish only w live rock and some cool non-reef safe fish (and maybe a few unpalatable corals for decoration).

Just interested to see what other people would put in it and get some ideas? Budget isn't really an issue (within reason of course- have 5 other tanks already lol) although I'm not too keen to buy too much more for it...as it is it comes with a reef octopus DNW-150 skimmer (from memory) and I have a T8 lighting unit for it as well that will have marine white and actinic blue tubes put in. If its to be coldwater marine I know I'll have to get a chiller for it closer to summertime.

Oooh decisions decisions!!!! Tell me what you think please guys and gals :D Setting up new tanks is so exciting Yay!

Sounds like FUN :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a 6ft fish only and want to put my 4ft reef into it...except I have a Naso Trigger (big purple dude with buck teeh) and a wrass, which will not be good in a reef. Interested?? I'm in Blenheim though. Good luck and have FUN

I have a niger trigger in my reef tank. He is a real clown and does some strange things. I used to have a large green bird nose wrasse in my reef tank. The only thing i could not keep was cleaner and fire shrimp. Red banded coral shrimp were ok.

Thats good, I have a red banded shrimp, so he should be ok with Trigger. So looks like I will just need to get rid of my maroon clown as I have too many clowns and they will all not get on with each other. I have to wait until my foot gets better so I have two feet to use on the major move. I will have to get rid of my rock too, as I have treated that tank with copper and it is likely to leach out into the reef...NOT GOOD!!! I think I have enough rock in the reef to make it look good though. Then I would like to buy some frags off the guy on Trade me.

Ok so after a few walks on the beach at low tide I have decided to go the coldwater route :D really excited about setting it up...so on the lookout now for a cheap chiller if anyone hears of one. :D Plus any advice from coldwater marine keepers would be much appreciated!

Well it's 4 foot so a fairly decent size..so probably a couple of triplefins, maybe a small urchin or two, snails, anemones, macro algae, etc etc...will have to do some research first on what will cohabitate happily! Want to build up the back and sides with rock (maybe a partly fake rock wall on the back) and have ledges and caves for things to hide under.

What do you have in your tanks? Do you have any pics? :D

I have just a small holding tank at the moment with some tidal creatures... garden crab, hermit crab, 2 starfish (1 blue, 1 pink), 4 cats eyes, 2 anemones.. of which are greedy buggers :lol: Little fidler crab types..... neat types of algae and some sort of bristle type feather duster type worm that sits low yet pops out of the rocks, and the feathery bits are dark blue, very pretty... Will add to our collection later on down the track once the main tank is done.

I will pop some pics up tonight in Saltwater section :D