First look at the new setup

Pies

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

All sorts of things moving along in the tank. Coral is starting to darken, which I think is a result of high nutrients from the flatworm exit a few weeks back.

I am also seeing a 2 acros receeding from their base, it not RTN its more like slow bleeching from the base. 1 of these corals have done this before, I can stop it at anytime by appling putty, so I think its an infection. Maybee receeds 2-3mm a week.

My IKS dosing pump failed (just stoped working). POS. I've ordered a new one (Aquamedic) so hope to get freshwater top off sorted soon, having to do it manually (12L a day) is a real chore.

Some pics:

One of my first corals. I got this from Reef in mid 2003. Its never done much for colour other than the nice blue/silver tips. Its had a hard life, been stung by anemones, aipstasia, and hynophora as well as being fragged several times yet is continues to grow:

acropies100605.jpg

The same coral from above not long after I first got it:

acropies180603.jpg

Blue Tang, survived whitespot/velvet from earlier on in the year. Looking good and no signs of the damage. There is a pic eariler on in the thread that shows how infected it was, I am genuinely surprised to see this fish has survived:

bluetangpies100705.jpg

The Sailfin also got a bad dose of whitespot/velvet but has made a great recovery.

sailfintangpies100705.jpg

Pies

Cookie - Nah, I am a patient man.

Bubble coral. I brought this from Steve Woods about 18 months ago, it was quite small, and attached to an awkward piece of rock. Its doing great, slowly growing and its base and grown over onto another piece of rock too.

1pies180705.jpg

Acro polyp extension 15 mintues after lights out.

2pies180705.jpg

Baby fungia coral today, see how they have grown :)

3pies160705.jpg

Pie

• 3 weeks later...

From Mico tax invoice:

Description: VGF355 Coloro B/V 20mm BSP BalValve Union

Mico Item code: 5164946

Cost me: $27.70 + gst ($31.16)

List price: $48.86

(3/4")

Description: Coloro VGF355 Union Ball Valve ASMUSS (Plastic Systems)

Mico Item code: 5190217

Cost: $42.19

(I assume the 1"?)

Collected 250 litres of water last night for a water change (10%). Also re-treated for flatworm.

What an awesome night, the water was crystal clear, was very warm and a great way to spend an hour.

when I got the water home and did the water change it was LOADED with little critters, including some that looked like cockroachs! cool, fed em all straight into the tank, I don't expect them to have survived.

Was good seeing the tank this morning, the feeding response from the corals was obvious. Great stuff.

the skimmer experiment continues, although I am starting to favor the slower throughput through the skimmer, the actual about in volume of skimate removed is similar is both consistancy and colour and smell!

All good from my perspective, have my eyes on my baby fungias, growing consistantly now, and getting larger. Hope to have them for sale/trade within the next3 months (be 5-10c piece size).

Piemania

the skimmer experiment continues, although I am starting to favor the slower throughput through the skimmer, the actual about in volume of skimate removed is similar is both consistancy and colour and smell!

is it really necessary? your tank sounds like it's going really well, in terms of coral growth and colour and healthy fish etc. a completely zero-nutrient free tank might have adverse effects? (speculating :D )

Things are going 'OK' in the tank. Pretty much just leaving it alone. I am always asked what addititives I am using on the tank. Currently CA reactor with 10% mg chips, Aquamedic phosphate remover. Thats all, not even using Kalkwasser at the moment, just water. I also use carbon, some cheap crap I bought a while ago (a sack full), which is going great. I use 2 litres at a time, changed every 2 months (ish).

Coral growth appears to be steady, colour as always could be better. Water paramaters are all in the green. I am starting to get to the point where I am woundering what the point of testing the water is.

This acro 'stag' coral is the common one with brown body and blue tips. Grows very fast. Note lots of new 'chutes' for new branches to start growing. Also take a peak of the purple monster in the background :)

pies12080501.jpg

This photo just freaks me out:

pies12080502.jpg

7 feet of water:

pies12080503.jpg

Looking good. This coral fell down, but it seams happy so its staying there:

pies12080504.jpg

These anemones are awesome. I got 2 from a local reefer who has been lucky enough to have a few bud off. I've had great success with them and now have 9. The don't grow large (max size about as big as a choc-chip biscut). Stunning to look at. If I can figure a way to detatch them i'd like to spread some around:

pies12080505.jpg

Gorgonian doing its thing:

pies12080506.jpg

Reefscape:

pies12080507.jpg

So not much to report. I am off on holiday for a week tommorow. People keep asking me 'whos looking after the tank' or 'whos feeding the fish'. No one. The tank and the fish will have to figure a way to survive without me for the week. I did however give in and feed the fish today.

Chat with you all soon.

pie