First look at the new setup

Pies

Well an MASSIVE week for the reef and some pretty big changes.

Started off with planing to get rid of the 'spare' sump, which was my sumpfish tank. Its a drilled purpose built marine tank of approximatly 235 litres. This tank is going to fellow reefer Suphew as an upgrade to his small 3 footer. He has limited space the the tank fits perfectly into his spot.

I also setup my old Zeovit reactor with Aquamedic phosban and fludised it. I am looking for some ROWAPHOS but am experimenting with the Aquamedic stuff. So far it appears to be working very well.

Sunday was to be the day, we were adding some beams to the floor to level the tank and remove some creeks, also Suphew was picking up the tank and we had someone visiting us to drill another hole in the tank.

Jane came and woke me up 'Water Everwhere!' she said. Now when you have over 2500 litres of saltwater in your house, these are truely scarey words. Woke up in .043 seconds flat, got down the stairs in under a second. approx 250 litres of water on the garage floor. Phew, thank god it wasn't serious. Got the mess cleaned up in less than 30 minutes, thank god for remote sumps.

The cause of the problem? Bad temporary plumbing by me in preperation to the tank being removed. To be honest couldn't have cared less, at least upstairs was OK. No losses or problems caused by the flood.

So next we packed up the floor, easy and peasy. Much less spring in the floor now, and less noise when walking in front of the tank.

Next drill hole in the bottom of the tank. Well couldn't have been any easier, I suspect it took less than 10 minutes from start to finish, even got the dremal in there to hone it out :) Perfect and easy.

Time to deliver the tank to Suphew. Got it to his place and fits perfectly.

Off to the ocean, collected over 550 litres of salt water! Phew, hard work thats for sure. Got Suphews tank full, then back to my place for a 200 litre water change.

All done, tidy the garage now that one tank and all the plumbing is gone!

So lots of things on in the weekend, so happy to have the tank gone and cleaned up the garage. Moving the tank means I can access more of the sump and make some changes that need to be made.

Pie

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pictures for those interested:

pie220105bicolourblenny.jpg

Bi-Colour Blenny on its pearch, as always.

pie220105clam.jpg

Nothing but love for the clams, surprising how fast they grow though, don't know what I will do with them once they get too big?

pie220105clownanemone.jpg

Tenticles everywhere.

pie220105galaxia.jpg

Galaxia are such awesomely striking corals, its a shame they are so deadly and release such long tenticles.

pie220105reefscapechromas.jpg

Just a nice picture of the 'reefscape' with a plain old chromas out the front.

Pie

Thanks Chimera - I posted a picture of the whole tank recently, but in 800x[aspect].

The problem is the size of the pics I can post here, I can stitch them to gether, but I have a highres camera so its un-nessessary, its the size (in kb) of the photo thats a problem, I have no-where that will let me post such large pictures 150kb is my max.

Pieola

Hey Pies go here www.nzreefs.com/phpBB2 i've got 500 meg of space so you can upload to your hearts content.

It's my new website, despite the look of it, it is intended more as a library of information than a discussion forum, but feel free to post anything you want. You can upload files into the "Wellington" section. I just started it yesterday, so there is a lot of work to do on it.

Those regional forums, allow people to create their own thread, but only the thread starter can post replies in it. So people can use it as a tank log of sorts.

Layton

Big changes at the moment around lighting. I've now got my last 2 400 watters and installed them tonight.

This photo shows the temp setup: 250watt 10k DE, 250watt 10k DE, 400watt 20kBLUE SE, 400watt 20kBLUE SE. Suplimented by 4 85 watt T5s 2x Narva Blue 2x 6500 White.

pies250105allwhitebluetankfront.jpg

This photo shows the final setup: 400watt 20BLUE SE, 4000watt 20k SE, 400watt 20kBLUE SE, 400watt 20kBLUE SE. Suplimented by 4 85 watt T5s 2x Narva Blue 2x 6500 White.

pies250105allbluetankfront.jpg

Although its hard to explain, the BLUEs now look far more WHITE than the WHITES ever did. I used to explain the 10k BLVs I was using as 'crisp white' I would now describe them as 'yellow'. Interesting the white 6500 T5s I would have described as 'mildly yellow' I would now describe as 'nicotine teeth yellow'.

Chimera I hope that helps.

Pie

EDIT: These pictures are 1280x[aspect] but I am only seeing them 600 wide, visit the hosted site for higher res. Anyone know why this is doing this?

thanks pies that does help and there certainly is a visible difference.

your web browser is rescaling the pic's to fit on the screen. if you actually click on the link to your pic's below (and maximise the window):

http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploads/pies250105allwhitebluetankfront.jpg

http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploads/pies250105allbluetankfront.jpg

which will open them up in a separate window, you will find it will be scaled to the screen better. if you then hover (assuming you have latest version of internet explorer) your mouse over the pic in the new window, a small square scaling box will popup in the bottom right corner of the pic. click on it and it will show full size.

EDIT: These pictures are 1280x[aspect] but I am only seeing them 600 wide, visit the hosted site for higher res. Anyone know why this is doing this?

FNZAS has a little embedded javascript to resize images on the fly. Take a look at the page source. For all those people with lower resolutions.

The tanks looking great Pies. How's that purple acro looking? PM and i'll sort out some frags for you.

Layton

Chimera - Glad the photos helped. Its not my browser.

Layton - Riddle me this. If the Javascript is resizing the photos how does that help people with slower connections as the source files remain the same size? Doesn't make sense to me, just means you have to wait longer to download larger pics and then once its loaded, the FNZAS web page scales them down anyway. I think.

Purple acro is doing really well, you wouldn't belive how large its grown. ITs holding great colour and still grows quick. Easily grown large enough to frag.

A frag exchange sounds great, I have space for a few corals at the moment. I'll PM you and sort something out. You don't want a bird nosed wrassee do you?

Pie

hi pies

just wanted to say that your tank is amazing! and it has made a fasinating (if long) story to read!

The pictures are great! some amazing photos!

where have you bought all your fish and coral, as didnt think there were shops in Wellington selling Marine?

great achievment! Would love to come and see it some time :wink:

plecs