Discussion re allowable plants in NZ (split)

whetu

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kokaka sorry but I can’t give names out as it would not be fair on those people that inform me in confidence. I agree there is a lot of good work being done by MAF and DOC and border control but there is also some dumb laws that are in place. They want to stop any one keeping and breeding Kea when it is thought that there number are decreasing? It just doesn’t make since. I’m sure if you went to Case and talked to the people there you would get the full run down on the Kea. There are other things that never get reported in the news that would really shock people.

are you implying you know who did this and are protecting them thats not cool :evil:

the price would remain expensive in the short term as these birds have a low reproducive rate and importing would be expensive.

BK was suggesting bringing them in to boost blood lines.

desexing birds that are being brought in to boost our very limited bloodlines doesn't make alot of sence

um nah if we brought in 15 pairs of macaws breed them inside the faiclity, desexed them and released hem then we woudnt have to worry about the bloodlines because their wont be any breeding out-side the facility.

why would you wanta spend over a million dollars importing 15 pairs of macaws and then release them

and they would still have an impact on our ecology and can live for over 100 years what your saying makes no sence

birds are very difficult to desex by the way

i actually agree with BK just wanted to show the other side of the arguement (as did ask for it twice), but you are not making sence at all

Well actually I was thinking of dredging up a ton of plants from Fiordland to sell on TM as newly discovered (not imported) fresh water ponds plants (plants as in the topic of this thread), and make a bit of extra cash (by fooling a few people along the way). So the customs etc agents will be all over the plants and not even see my Moose I caught, carrying the plants in its antlers :)

Whadya think. Good plan?

Many years ago I was investigating a case of psittacosis which a whole family had contracted from birds bought from a local pet shop and the Dept of health wanted me to arrange for the destruction of all the birds in that shop. Being a bird lover I spoke to the vet who was looking after the infected birds. He felt it was needed to destroy some birds but many were saved. He checked all the birds in pet shop and persuaded the Health Dept to leave them alone. He also informed me that the disease was present in the wild pidgeon population in Christchurch. The reason given to me for banning the importation of turtles was salmonella and that is present in populations of sparrows, chicken, cats, dogs, lizards and many other animals so the reasoning seems a little false to me. Having said that, my brother freaks out when he comes over from Queensland and sees I am breeding red eared turtles---they are shot on site there.

It would be nice if some real reasons were given for some of these restrictions because if you tell lies (as many do ---like: "If you touch that again Johny it will fall off") PEOPLE END UP WITH NO RESPECT FOR THE LAW AND WILL SMUGGLE STUFF.

why would you wanta spend over a million dollars importing 15 pairs of macaws and then release them

and they would still have an impact on our ecology and can live for over 100 years what your saying makes no sence

birds are very difficult to desex by the way

i actually agree with BK just wanted to show the other side of the arguement (as did ask for it twice), but you are not making sence at all

no they are desexed before leaving the facility. Not the adult pairs but the babies.

Adults stay and breed in the facility then the babys are desexed and sold on.

Well actually I was thinking of dredging up a ton of plants from Fiordland to sell on TM as newly discovered (not imported) fresh water ponds plants (plants as in the topic of this thread), and make a bit of extra cash (by fooling a few people along the way). So the customs etc agents will be all over the plants and not even see my Moose I caught, carrying the plants in its antlers :)

Whadya think. Good plan?

no, no, bad plan

anyone knows those moose are big, too conspicuois

use a moa, and tell everyone its your pet emu

30 macaws imported at total cost per bird about 30,000 per bird

available already on nz market at 10,000 each

sums don't work

people in nz prepared and wanting to pay that dosh, scenario gets worse

controlled importation = all birds screened for diseases etc also not worth smuggling

no importation = smuggling = no birds screened

while we have the human race there will always be those who break the rules

while we have the human race there will always be those who break the rules

Well do I have news for you! I know a person who was fired from an American Space Agency who has an ENORMOUS telescope who knows of a secret asteroid on a collision path with Earth. The good news is that it will kill all those people not obeying the fair laws of the planet.

Also everyone elsesmiley_sharkattack.gif

But if you pay me 17,000 kabillion dollars then I may be able to help you with transport off of this rock. But only if you are a pretty person. After all there is the populating of the galaxy to think of ;)