Too much light?

MMinehan

Aside from issues with algae, what are some problems seen with too much light?

The reason I ask is that I have a 360L tank (1200x500x600) with 6 x T5s (54W each) with reflectors. Four of them are "daylights 6500k" and 2 are Hagen Life Glo 6700k. About 12 hrs / day on a stepped timer (so as not to freak out the fish when they come on and off).

Some of the plants are growing reddish/brown (not algae). And one of the taller ones is bending back down. The tank is only 4 weeks old and has a moderate fish population slowly introduced in the last 2 weeks.

The all seem to be growing making oxygen. And I have CO2 (on controller), JBL substrate, substrate heater (picked it up cheap), and use Flourish and Iron supplements.

Tested PO4, NO2, and Fe all being with in normal ranges according to test kit. ph 6.8 and temp 25C.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.

Under high light conditions some plants will develop that reddy brown colour.

I am not sure what you mean by "one of the taller ones is bending back down" - Does that mean it has grown to the water surface and is now growing along the top of the tank?

The new setup (freshly planted) and 3 weeks later.

aquaplant5.jpg

aquaplant6.jpg

Added some red pine. The sword on the right is just sprouting red/brown leaves. Cucumber (far right) for BN's.

Also changed filter from my old noisy Fluval 304 to a new JBL Aquapris 500. Transferred half the old media over to the new filter.

Water is still a bit cloudy, but slowly clearing with time and water changes. I think the cloudiness may have come from the JBL substrate.

Everything is fine, no problems.

Ambulia will produce red pigments when the light is right. Basically your plants are producing carotenoids (red photosynthetic pigments) to capture other wavelengths of light. The plant that is curving over is trying to get it's roots into the substrate, it should start to produce side shoots soon.

Thank you all for comments and encouragement. I'm no expert, just done a bit of reading on great sites like this.

I'm almost convinced all is good regarding the browning. The only other thing I should have mentioned was that the swords are growing but the leaves appear 'tissue paper' like, and the new leaves are growing almost twisted and not flat and lush. See the photos.

I understand that old leaves will die off and the BNs will 'shave away' at them making them thinner. But the new leaves are not flat and thick like they were on the young plant when I bought it.

aquaplant7.jpg

Note the 'twisted' medium sized leaves.

aquaplant8.jpg

And again on this sword.

And yes, I was thinking of getting a few discus. There are some small discus on TM at the moment. So was thinking about getting 3 or 4.

I guess I just have to be patient and let the tank settle down and the plants establish themselves. But I just want to ward off problems before they start.

Thanks again. And thanks to everyone that makes sites like this such a great resource.

I am sure that there would be a number of people who would like to have a "problem" in there tank like you do.

Nice looking setup - are you planning on adding discus?

You're right there - I would LOVE to have this "problem" in my tank! :o All that growth in just three weeks?!

Don't think of the leaves as browning - think of them as gaining colour - reds and oranges add a gorgeous dimension to the tank.

Also remember that as your tank matures and the plants spread out, the leaves closest to the surface will block some light. So you will end up with redder colouration near the surface and greener underneath. Lovely.

I believe the thinning of the leabves may be a result of some nutrient deficiency - perhaps iron? When plants are growing as fast as yours are, you will need to dose ferts frequently to keep the nutrient levels high enough to support the new growth.

Well done - I look forward to following the progress of your tank as it matures.

More thoughts:

I just re-read your original post where you mentioned the substrate and ferts you are using. You really sound like you are doing everything right. Perhaps it is just that the plants need some time for their root growth to catch up with their foliage and they will be able to pick up the nutrients from the substrate once the roots are better established.

Also the fact that you are supplementing veges for your BNs will help - they are less likely to damage your plants if they have plenty of other greenery to eat.

I could look at your tank for hours. You probably do!

Thank you whetu and everyone for the encouragement and advice. I am no expert by any stretch, but have learnt a bit from these forums.

Things are going well other thank cloudy water which I think is partly due to algae. I am hoping as the plants grow the water will become clearer. I might consider getting a UV steriliser if I can source one cheap on ebay or the like.

Most of the setup I have sourced from wholesalers (eg solenoid $18 from the US, regulator from welding shop, electronic dual tube T5 ballasts from local wholesaler at ~$20 each, pH and temp controller for 1/3 the local cost from Hong Kong). So it has cost me a lost less than getting everything from LFS.

Thanks again.

Also don't worry too much about the cloudy water. The tank is still very new, so give it plenty of time for everything to settle down and sort itself out. I wouldn't worry about a UV steriliser - just be patient and the cloudy water should disappear.

Also I don't want to sound like a meanie, but chances are you will go through a period when your tank will start going mad with algae! Again, don't worry too much about it. Just give everything time to settle and make gradual changes rather than trying anything too radical.

chances are you will go through a period when your tank will start going mad with algae!

Yes, that has started a bit. Especially upper regions of the two pieces of drift wood and the upper part of the glass. But I'll just be patient and see what happens.

Neon, thanks for the compliment.

Red pine, is that a wrong name?

Red pine is also a type of aquarium plant - of which is being referred to in this thread. I am not sure of it's scientific name but I am sure someone else will know it.

In the second picture of the tank it is the plant in the middle at the back.