Cruel Betta tank

Nana Luke

My stepdaughter cut a pic from a magazine that had a little tank about 2 inches square that you attatch an I Pod to, speakers and all, with a betta in it! She thought it looked cool unitl I explained about everyone and every fish having their own space. I threatened to lock her in the linen cupboard with a stereo on full for three weeks to see how she liked it! She gets it now...

I used to work with a guy from Lau, who said he used to fight Bettas alot (much to my horror :( )

He said he would train his up to be stronger by putting it in a special bowl and spinning it with it swimming against the current. (i dont know how true that is or how gullible i am!)

But yes, im a vegetarian and hate animal fighting so it made me pretty sad. Bettas are so beautiful, it sucks so many of them are mistreated :cry:

When I used to work at a LFS we used to have a large group of asian men come in occasionally and each buy a fighter.

it was quite obvious what they were gettign it for but they caught on after we said we would not sell them the fish for fighting and they would come in one at a time and run this story about having tank setups for them etc.......... nothign we coudl really do about it in the end because we could only speculate what they were doing and had no proof.

we had another customer who woudl coem in with his grandson and say when they were kids they would go catch them in the rice paddys and put them in jars and would watch them try to fight each other and the one that gave up and swam away first was teh looser, his secret trick was to sprinkle a touch of chilli pepper in the water to get the fish all excited.

I remember them having those ipod betta tanks in oz while i was there in summer and it was on the news and in the papers abotu how bad they are and they were banned.