Blue Tongues

Illegal to sell or breed in greater Auckland area now apparently.

Guess that means if people can not sell them they will release.

I really think they should have pounced on these a long time ago, too hard to shut down now. Any live bearing lizard that can handle temperate conditions and eats snails should have been dealt with more decisively and sooner.

BTW- still cool to own Felis catus anywhere you want.....but they are furry.

"A skilled predator, the cat is known to hunt over 1,000 species for food"

Anyone else curious as to if as NZers we are serious about protecting our biodiversity we allow the sale of cats?

Ever wondered why you can import tropical fish, dogs and cats but not reptiles?

Yes I do ... if you think about it you can get dogs ...cats .. imported

and they hunt the NZ wild live and no one say any thing but has sone

has you say reptiles you get shot down ...thinking that you are getting snakes and things and all you what are a few small nice looking reptile

that are locked up and well looked after...

This is not on................... :evil:

How ridiculous :roll: How long have Blueys been here and MAF now start to throw their weight around about them?? Gee if they were that concerned you would think they would have done something about them ages ago... Hmm I would hate to think the amount of damage cats have done to our native wildlife... natural born killers vs scavengers, I know which I would prefer... :roll:

Just goes to show what a joke the laws are. Cats are killers and once my 2 pass away I will not be getting any more. Last year there where a number of Brown teal released into a wetland in CHCH, nearly all were taken by the local cats. I want to import parrots but you can't only allowed to import pigeons and fouls?? Makes lots of since if you what to keep SARs etc out. There a reason that they are called fouls and don't they call pigeons rats with wings.

Its only the start, I have also heard the water dragons are going to be placed on the banned list to...

Yes i totally agree with the whole cat argument but look at this way...

Reptiles banned = ten of thousands of people are angry

cats banned = 90% of the population will be in a uproar

Most people think that the repltiles we keep can lead to the death of natural reptiles, eduacting the public also needs to be done

dont they normall ask for experts opinions in these matters?

aunty helen knows best culture is rife in the gov. depts.

expert opinion overseas supports regulation of exotic pet industries.

licensing system, yearly fee's and make it illegal to sell animals that can not be proven to be bred in NZ. Make a list of what is here and go from there. The system in Oz is not perfect but it is so much better than here.

why would they ban w/d's?

couple of pdf's off the web listed below that might explain the auckland ban

if you have a look there are more reptile species on there as well

you aucklanders guys need to be contacting the local councils and talking to someone

http://www.arta.govt.nz/shadomx/apps/fm ... teName=arc

http://www.rodney.govt.nz/services/Pest ... t-Plan.pdf

talk about no idea. what do they mean by 'wild'. iguana? why are they a pest animal. I am going to make a submission. I'll use small words.

Where do we do this?

Im sure we can get a few hundred submissions in.

I didn't realise we have so many "wild exotics" running around in Auckland, does anyone know where you go to see the "wild types" of these species?

Or is it that keepers are letting them out at night to wreck havoc on the native fauna, maybe thats what is happening, in that case I can see their point. :o

Maybe a few of us in Auckland and Rodney districts need to get together to discuss and put foward a group proposal, it's easy to loose a few single proposals, any thoughts guys and girls?