royal blue male

Foxglove

This is my royal blue:

RoyalBluresized.jpg

After seeing LivingArt's fish, I'm really not sure what the differences are between the red shoulder and this! :oops: :(

He beats up the smaller males and has shifted heaps of sand... maybe his mate will be ready for another go at breeding soon. The last lot of fry didn't survive after spitting. :cry:

and here are two of the P.demasoni (from Ryan)

demsresizedMay08.jpg

They are all grown up but still very mild mannered compared with the big peacock. :lol: I just love demasoni. My favourite fish! :bounce:

Fish look good have you got a full tank shot?

People call royal blues red shoulders the fish that I call a royal blue is blue all over no other colour in the body at all (similar to chilumba but different body shape).

Where did your royal blues come from?

:hail::hail::hail: Thanks Afrikan!

I'm glad you think they're in good condition - I think they look pretty jolly good. :lol:

I got the royal blues from Glenn.

I can't tell about body shape - but the fish was more blue at one stage.

(I really wanted the really blue Sch... fryeri, but will have to wait till I've got a 5 foot tank... one day! :lol: )

Full tank shot -

BowtankwithdemsrbandyellowsMay08.jpg

I'm adding a bristlenose next weekend to help with the algae control, and going to rearrange it to make a larger sand area for the peacocks.

I was reading an old PFK article by Mary Bailey and hadn't realised that peacocks prefer 'sand with some rocks' to 'basic rock wall' tank structure.

the royal blue we have

royalblue1ip0.jpg

the red shoulder have definite red patch on shoulder

the flash can make it more yellow though

it is really hard working from photos

a slight angle on fish can make them look nore slender

also lighting or mood can have an effect on the colour they appear

even overseas sites have slight difference in colours and shapes of photos

its got me beat sometimes

best idea is to put a lot of clues together and make a choice

I should also add that the tank looks really good a nice mix of fish and colours etc, don't worry too much about the open spaces for peacocks mine don't seem to mind some rockwork and it gives females a place to hide if the male gets agro :)

give it time hellen,keeping africans is very much a patience game take a look at livingarts fish, when i picked them up off james he looked very much like that,not as intense in the colour but he is only a youngster,he has only just passed his first birthday,i'm sure he will get there.they were bought as ''royal blues''.

The royal blues we had coloured up to the full extent more or less straight away when they matured in colouration... the whole body colour was intense dark blue, right through out the body, no lighter coloured body with reddish shoulder.

When I mentioned blue straight away, the blue was the dominant body colour and a dark blue, there was no sheen of light yellow to orange across the back below dorsal area, or the very obvious red shoulder, that was all. They were evenly coloured.

When I mentioned blue straight away, the blue was the dominant body colour and a dark blue, there was no sheen of light yellow to orange across the back below dorsal area, or the very obvious red shoulder, that was all. They were evenly coloured.

my guys are showing blue but area behind shoulder is the last to turn

no other colour there yet

want to bring some females up to put with young from the big fellow

yes there are firenzenz,

young females are hard to tell apart

growing the ones i purchased on to see if the colour is right to make sure i am breeding true

had an 8 year old pair but lost the female after 1 spawning

lucky i kept some young

Yeah I got them from Glenn who said as much too. :lol:

I wanted just one species of peacock-like fish to go with my demasoni and yellows ok now and lionheads! :oops:

I was really happy when the female was holding, but no sign of fry after she spat at 22 days.

I really don't want to strip as I like the idea of fish following their natural behaviour. Is there something else I can do to make the tank more fry-friendly?

I don't like my females holding for long as they lose too much condition... I find most species of peacocks that we have had, the mothers are brilliant... and over mother their broods, hold on to them for donkeys if they could that is why I don't like the idea of leaving them in a tank too long holding and also they can end up getting harassed by the males.... so we strip the fry and raise them in a seperate tank and that way the females can resume back to noshing down and picking up in condition again. I guess in the wild, females can just turkey off and find a quiet place to relax and protect their brood.. yet in a tank there is just so much space they have to travel in.

A pile of broken up coral can also work.

If you can be bothered get a 10ltr tank with sponge filter and put female in at 14 days, then take her out when she has spat.

On the Royal blue subject, what Aulononcara species are we talking about?

A stuartgranti species such as this?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=678

Does anyone with these fish have an idea or at least willing to speculate on a single species.

Are the fish we're disscussing imported stock? The fact that they have come straight from 'a list' does not in any way validate their pedigree

Excuse me for being sceptical but a fish with no scientific designation and a common name which by its terminology could encompass 1/2 of its genus has every chance of being a mongrel. I think they are a lovely fish as i think all peacocks are.

But I also know what a spade looks like.