What plants are found in Lake Malawi? are they in NZ?

dwalk

I'm setting up my first Lake Malawi cichlid tank, and need some advice on what plants i should use. My fish at this point are Elec yellow's, but I plan to add some Demasoni and some Peacocks in the future.

Java fern seems to do well in my grow out tanks but only fake plants survive the punishment that my adult africans dish out. Mine drag em, play tug'o'war with em, push em, pull em, dig em up and of late my jacob seems to have fallen in love with one of them :oops:

• 3 weeks later...

The guy who seems to know about cichlids at Hutt Pets (Tim? Ben? Bob? Biff? I can't remember his name) told me he has straight val in his tank and it works well as long as you give it a good start by preventing the fish from digging it up while its roots are establishing (I have mine surrounded by small rocks) in the sand. I have a few straight and twisted val in my tank and they are growing well in the tank and the fish aren't interested in eating it.

Never had a problem with Tangys and plants... but most mbuna from Malawi will have a field day... have grown Anubias without a problem.. Large mbuna tho will have a good tug at it tho if they feed the need. Never had a problem with Peacocks and the like with plants.

Any plant i've seen in the odd doco looked Val'ish' in the shallows. But it is mostly plantless. Bottom silty ans sandy

Java fern and anubias for me too. I've tied them to coral and eventually lock themselves into it, and becomes quite fish proof

I call this the "thunberbird tank"- probably not too realistic though.

DSC_0098.jpg