Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Autofeeder Recommendations?

Featured Replies

I am looking at buying one or 2 for my larger tanks soon, What are the recomended Reasonably price ones? Its mainly for my My thats upstairs that doesnt get too much attention.

I have never used them as I have heard of them clogging etc.

My concern would be - if you want the auto feeder because the tank doesn't get too much attention, adding an autofeeder would make it worse. Feeding time is when you check for disease, injury, temperature correct, filter working well etc. even if you only feed once or twice a week.

I use an auto feeder when I go away on holiday. I have an aqua one one.

I don't feed my fish while I am away. Of course, if you have large fish or fry this is harder to get away with. My community tank only gets fed once or twice a week and gets left up to 2 weeks when I am away with no problems.

I seem to remember someone recommending the Eheim feeders. More expensive but more reliable.

  • Author
I have never used them as I have heard of them clogging etc.

I just found the ehiem one for $50 and it has a fan to stop the food from clogging

My concern would be - if you want the auto feeder because the tank doesn't get too much attention, adding an autofeeder would make it worse. Feeding time is when you check for disease, injury, temperature correct, filter working well etc. even if you only feed once or twice a week.

I never need to go upstairs,but my brother,mum and dad see the tank every day and let me know when either a fish is missing,dead or looking sick,i really only go up there once a week or so,The main reason I want one of these is also because the bad lid,glass and light arrangement, I have to unplug the Light,remove it and then put it back,eachtime i feed. It really is annoying.

I have a Penn Plax auto feeder that was part of my Christmas present from my son. But I still don't have it on a tank as yet. Tad nervous about trying it and can't make up my mind which tank to try it on!

Caper

I have two Eheim auto feeders, now they must be about 5 years old (give or take), and they are great.

I have to agree witht he comments about feeding time being the time to check tanks etc, and strangely enough the ones I use are on the tanks in our main living area. The auto feeders are so much easier than trying to get the cats off the top of the tank :D

We have tried just about all of them and recomend Eheim and Hydor. If you have a hood on the tank I would suggest Hydor as it has the facility to run an airline in to it which ensures the food remains dry but you may have to import it as there are no NZ Suppliers.

I have a rena which has been going well for over 30 years. Controls the lights, feeds the fish and turns the air off and on again while the fish are feeding. I just have to work out how to get it to make the coffee.

I have a rena which has been going well for over 30 years. Controls the lights, feeds the fish and turns the air off and on again while the fish are feeding. I just have to work out how to get it to make the coffee.

dont they have another name for this???.... oh thats right a wife :wink: :roll: :oops: :bow:

the same one for over 30 years is awesome

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.