MosquitoFish

Heir

Ohk I caught like 200 of these in the pond behind my house...

Theres MILLIONS of them in there.

they are grey and look like guppies.

I put some of the larger ones in my tank to get a better idea of what they were.

These are illegal but my goldfish LOVE eating the little ones so I presume since they're being destroyed by my fish that I can catch them for live food.

My question is can I give these to my friends or anyone else that wants live feeders? They're an unwanted organism so I don't see why not. :bounce:

They aren't on the biosecurity list of pests and diseases.

DOC says about them here; http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=33409

and their legal definition is "unwanted organism" but I can't see where you are fined for having them or distributing but I thought it was illegal. They will jump on you if you try to sell them on Trademe :wink:

This is from: http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=33409

What damage do they do?

Gambusia populations quickly expand to outnumber other species. They attack native fish by nipping at their fins and eyes and prey on their eggs. Whitebait and mudfish species are especially vulnerable to Gambusia as they inhabit similar habitats.

umm

ohk just so we're all on the same boat

I'm not shipping any, as I realise this is not such a great idea.

they should make it legal to catch and freeze them for fish food then someone could set up some commercial thing and the numbers would drop. you can get worms and all sorts frozen but not little fish, as I'm sure some of the species people keep in aquaria would benefit from frozen whole lil fish.

just a thought like the few others that float around my head :)

I'm certainly going to continue using them as live food for variety in my fishes diet though, now that they've got the taste for them :)

because its not really MY pond... its surrounded by huge gardens and the like almost the whole of my suburb have use to it and i could get in HUGE trouble for introducing goldfish! lol

not that you knew this of course.

They are a noxious pest, simply having them is illegal.

Distributing them is even more illegal...

The thing is they spread so easily. Imagine a flood coming through, washing them into a waterway (including via stormwater) and spreading them to yet another area.

They are really nasty little fish.

The idea of putting some comets in there to clear them out is good... but they may destroy the comets first... just be sure, do a bit of research and get rid of the 'ORRIBLE LITTLE BLIGHTERS! Other fish also make good live food but are not invading our streams and killing our native fish.

addition: I THINK it may be legal to use them as fish food if you KILL them on site. Take a bucket of icewater and put them in that immediately (or throw them hard at the ground, but it takes a while for 200...)

I would only recommend that if you confirmed it with DOC first and it was from a place they can't easily be removed from (an open waterway like a stream).

local doc office have access to an electric fishing boat

should talk to them about cleaning up the pond and replacing with something else

are the ponds man made and landlocked or natural and flowing to a stream system

and if a stream does it flow directly to the sea

sorry for the questions

hmmm well im not too sure if theyre man made... they are the lakes in bethlehem heights?

they have a stream flowing into them and an storm water drain thing at the other end so they arnt landlocked. no idea where it flows to but theres millions of them in there

which still comes back to why cant they be frozen - which kills them and used to feed fish ? surely then there would be a market for them and their numbers would decline.