Breeding fighters

I've taken the female out. My mum said she saw 3 eggs but when I looked in the nest there was about 10-12 but then he either ate them or moved them. how often is it that the male will eat the eggs. when they are white does it mean they were fertilised? Will I be able to see the eggs if the are in the bubbles

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well the male has lost interest in the nest now (He's probably eaten all the eggs he could find :evil: ). I'm just going to condition them up and wait for her to full with eggs and attempt it again. Do you think that next time the male will eat the eggs or do you think the were infertile and when he relised he ate them? Thanks for all the help guys it was greatly appreciated. Now I know what I'm doing for next time.

If you haven't already taken him out leave him there. Some males don't hang right under the nest but go back and forward tending to the eggs. You won't see all the eggs unless the light is right and you use a decent sort of magnifying glass.

If it is warm enough the eggs will start to hatch in just over 24 hours and can take up to 48 hours to finish happening.

The male will move them everywhere, can hold them in his mouth for a very long time.

If he has eaten the eggs it can be for several reasons

1. they were not fertilised - this may happen especially at the first attempt

if he doesn't roll the female over. She also may release the eggs by herself

2. he was hungry, needs to be in better condition

3. he likes the taste of eggs and will always do it.

I mentioned that I had about 6 ct fry hatch from two spawnings. These were from several hundred eggs, one of my males just about never rolls the female over so the eggs don't become fertilised and the other male is a confirmed egg eater. However there are still a few live fry from their spawns.

Even if you can't see any live fry after 48 hours look after the tank like there are and put in green water/liquifry or whatever you use. You may be surprised as it will take the best part of a week to see what is there.

I have ended up with at least 9 fry at one week, each day I see another.

Ok I just asked my mum and she said when she watched (she only watched for the first time and when she came back 30 minutes later) and she said the female wasn't upside down. She had her head down and tail up with her fins clamped to her side. So it was probably just them being begginers. The male was wrapped around her though so I supose he's halfway there :lol: .

If you keep looking and disturbing them you'll end up with nothing.

Agreed, dnt touch them, I left them be. I just had a perfect spawn of 100+ fry hatched! It is very hard not 2 fiddle when you don't think something is right, I dnt think ther was anything in this lot, yet most of the eggs hatched!!! :bounce:

Will I have to wait a couple of weeks before I try and breed them again even though It wasn't a big spawn? The female hasn't got any torn fins or body damage and is in fit condition. How long will it take for her to full with eggs? At the moment I'm feeding her and him Daphnia, mossie larvae, flake, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp.

I feed them either frozen bloodworms or frozen brineshrimp 2-3 times a week. They get mozzie larvae and daphnia when ever I can be bothered cathing them and I usually feed themflake in the morning (I don't have much time to feed them before school). At the moment they're in two 18 litre tanks side by side each other and she just sits there watching him and he flares up and swims around the tank. This time I'm going to get more organised, like maybe getting a infursira culture set up.

Hi guys

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good siamese fighter genetics websites? Or even if someone knew much about genetics?

Any help is appreciated.

Ok I'll just as ask what I want to find out and if anyone can answer me please do. I want to know what type of fin types and colours I will most proberly get when I breed my red male double ray red with my female that has red fins with flecks of blue in her fins. I think she just has normal fins not crowntail. The male has the same bright red all over his body and fins but I can't remember what it's called when the body and fins are the same colour.

Why do you not just do a search on the net....?

The subject you are asking about ... (Genetics).... takes (in many cases..) years of trial and error... but the good thing is... that most of the results are published on the net... if you care to look for them...

These took me less than two minutes... and there's more info than you can consume in a week.

http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html

http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics.htm

Below these listings are "thousands and thousands" of more sites... all at the click of the keyboard.

Bill.

I've searched the web but couldn't and found out that red is a dominent colour but I just wanted to make sure that was right but I couldn't find anything on the fins

So you can't really figure out what they're going to be until they're older. Thats a bummer. I'm pretty sure most of the babies are going to be red but I just really want to know what the fin types are going to be.

Ok sweet. In the long run this is going to be my plan: I'm going to spawn the male double ray with the red veiltail female and hope I to get a couple of red male double ray fighters and a couple red double ray female with the red body (most of you will know what I mean i hope). Then hope fully I'll be able to breed the them together and over time and a few spawns get a couple of good double ray fighters.

To Make it simple for you,

If you breed TRUE STRAIN Crowntail together you get Crowntail.

If you breed Veiltail together you get Veiltail.

If you CROSS BREED Veiltail and crowntail you get A WHOLE LOT OF RUBBISH (breeders point of view). They don't look like CT or VT.

If you DON'T KNOW what you have you SHOULDN'T BE BREEDING THEM.

ron

Oh Ok so there is no way I'll get crowntail babies. I'll still breed them either way because I really want to get some babies from my male before he isn't any good for breeding. I'm not sure how old.