Easy Water Changes

danilada

Wow this thread has exploded since I posted :o . To get the siphon started you can either use a tradition method (i.e. suck or self-starter) or you screw whole thing into tap, put sucking end of hose in tank, make sure the bottom valve is open, and then turn the tap on. You don't need to have the tap going the whole time as it only sucks the water through - which you don't need when the siphon has started... Geddit??

well, here's some bad bad drawing that might explain it better...

filler-drainervalveemptying.jpg

filler-drainervalvefilling.jpg

HTH

p.s. Paint always seems to chop out words :evil:

It says : "tap on (but only at first)","valve open"

and

"tap on","valve shut"

Boring garden hose method:

Tools: Garden hose, Garden tap, nozzle for end of hose

Draining:

1. Plug hose into garden tap

2. Turn on tap with nozzle open to remove air

3. Close nozzle

4. Turn off tap

5. Crack open nozzle to release pressure in hose then quickly close again.

6. Disconnect hose from tap (also remove attachment from end of hose) and place in garden or lawn.

7 Take nozzle end of hose to fish tank, submerge then open nozzle

8 Remove nozzle and attachment from end of hose and attach gravel cleaning attachment.

9 Drain tank to desired level

Filling:

1 Plug hose into garden tap

2 Turn on tap with nozzle open to remove air

3 Adjust tap to required flow rate (not full noise)

4 Close nozzle

5 Take nozzle end of hose to fish tank, submerge then open nozzle

6 place spare hand at end of nozzle to disperse water randomly

7 Fill tank to desired level

I use a bilge pump connected to a car battery on one of my tanks. On another I have a hose permanently connected to outside tap tee'd off with a valve. Stick hose in tank and open valve and gravity does the rest. To fill I just close valve and turn on tap. 10 mins to do a 100L + water change.

hehe ok, do you guys siphon a actual *4 meter* lenth hose etc though.

My hose is 4 meters, how would I siphon that.

You only need to get the water flowing over the edge of the tank, then let gravity do the rest. You don't need top suck it all the way to the end of the hose.

I always strategicly place my larege tanks close to a window or door so I can run a hose outside for water changes. Buckets are for suckers!

or for tanks under 200L anyway :lol:

I use a bilge pump connected to a car battery on one of my tanks. On another I have a hose permanently connected to outside tap tee'd off with a valve. Stick hose in tank and open valve and gravity does the rest. To fill I just close valve and turn on tap. 10 mins to do a 100L + water change.

Could also use a computer power supply...just a idea :D

What I have done is make up a hose connection that goes on the fawcet and onto a flexible hose with a snap on connector.The connection to the fawcet is not a standard plumbing fixture so you can't get it from a hardware store but from a place selling those rip off filters that make your already safe tap water safe to drink.

I have one of the gadgets you were contemplating at the start of the thread .... it works perfectly for me (cut my time for a water change down by 80%).

You do need the metal adaptor ... the plastic one was useless. Also a kink free hose is a lot easier to use & coil afterwards. Use a hose connector to join both ends when coiled up to save any spillage.

I connect it up with my gravel vac and vac as the water is sucked out and when I have drained enough it's just a matter of tweaking the valve to reverse the water flow (we're in Chch so water is fine going straight into tank).

I'm lucky as my wife helps and controls the tap mixer while I feel/monitor the water going in to ensure a good temperature & the fish seem to love it.

I have one too. I run a 10m garden hose on it. I siphon my tank water out onto the garden. I have a power head pump in my big tanks and just put the end of the hose in the outlet. Works a treat, cutting down time significantly.

I got a replacement plastic adapter for the faucet but have not needed it yet. They are a definite asset for water changes.