Did anyone watch Campbell Live tonight?

David R

The article about the nurseryman vs. the cats must have struck a chord with a few people.

I have to sympathize with the nursery owner. I work for a nursery, my boss has a similar attitude to cats because of the hundreds of dollars of damage they do by digging and defecating in trays of small plants, not to mention the number of leaks in the plastic greenhouse film they make. We go to a lot of trouble to cat-proof greenhouses to avoid this, but they still find their way in and it is impossible to stop them walking on the roof and ripping the plastic.

So, cat owners, do you know where you cat is roaming to and what its doing? Domestic cats probably do as much damage to native fauna as the much-hated possums do to flora.

BTW I live very close to the nursery, and we have a cat, still, luckily.... :o :lol:

Certain things are not compatable. Goldfish, aviary birds, freshly dug gardens, sleep in the mating season and dogs are not compatable with cats. I have had all of the above in conflict with cats and have an intense dislike of your little wanderering pussy.

I think it all started at an early age when my father found a wild cat lying on my youngest sisters face in the cot (which almost smothered her) and he then devoted his life to keeping the property free of cats just like the nurseryman.

I must confess that some things are very compatable with cats---grapes for instance.

While i can see his side he built there. its like buying a house near the speedway then complaining about the noise! that large hex netting is cheap enough that he could net the whole place, a small amount of time & money spent doing that would save his plants & save his time killing cats, but i guess that would be too easy..........

its like buying a house near the speedway then complaining about the noise! that large hex netting is cheap enough that he could net the whole place, a small amount of time & money spent doing that would save his plants & save his time killing cats, but i guess that would be too easy..........

There isn't a speedway in every suburb though! Where can you go where there aren't cats? Even in the country there are wild populations of cats. Perhaps the owners should contribute [or pay for] a fence if they're that worried about their pets.

Or perhaps he could return the live cat after trapping it ... once the owner reimburses him for the damage done to the plants and greenhouse roof.

i agree, there are other ways, i wonder if he had even raised his concerns with the surrounding houses or if he just decide to start killing their cats. that other guy that was on cambell live last year just seemed to like doing it, wonder if its the same with him.

In Melbourne Australia, you are not allowed to let your cats roam around outside at night, the animal control people work at night specifically to pick up your wandering puss - and charge you sixty bucks to get it back if it is chipped, if it is not, you will never see it again....

My brother in law lives in the city, and we were staying at their place on their wedding night and they were at a hotel - they rang at eight o'clock from their honeymoon suite to check if the cat was inside after dark in case it got picked up!

True story as told by an old workmate - Not for the squeemish though.

He didn't like cats so one day i asked him why. This guys Dad had died young and he told me the only memory he had of him was one day they were outside doing a new lawn. Then they spotted the neighbours cat digging part of it. His Dad yelled at the cat and also picked up the nearest thing which was an axe, and threw it at the cat. There was no intention to kill the cat, but it was an amazing fluke shot. According to my work buddy, it cut the cat completely in half, not even joined together any more.

Then his Dad starts freaking out & the cat was buried, and he was told NOT to tel his Mum, or anyone else.

That is the only memory he had of his Dad, and he also had a dislike of cats!

I remember a doco years ago.....apparantly wild cats do most of their hunting during the day and are 'den' animals, retreating to a den at night. Therefore, the doco says, cats should be brought into the house at night so they can cosy up and sleep. If all owners did that simple thing it would solve a whole lot of trouble.

On that note, should not dog owners do the same thing? Might limited dog related attacks and very large vet bills.

Yes, dog owners should do the same thing. In fact, they have to because its law. Of course, not every one obeys the law. :evil:

i think its wrong that cats can go where they want

there is a house near me (about 3 houses down ) that has 20 + cats they roam the area day and night if a cat owner carnt control their cats then its their falt

people would get very upset if dogs jumped their fence and went for a crap on the garden

and many cats kill other peoples pets - i know a person whos rabbit was clawed to death by a cat even tho the rabbit was in its hutch

i dont mind some cats i feed the peoples cats who live behind me they more or less stay on their land unless their called over or tempted with food

not as far as i know. the only good thing i can say about a certain pet shop that many of us hate is they only sell kittens that have been fixed. its a shame others dont do it. i love cats but there are far too many around, when i lived in town mine stayed inside at nite, now im out of town they are allowed out at nite because they dont bug anyone & there aren't other cats they can fight with. they catch mice, hardly ever bother with birds & they keep the wild rabbit population down.

On a field trip to St. Arnaud/Lake Rotoiti a DOC Ranger gave a talk about the pest elimination they were doing. They had tagged a couple of wild cats to see how far their territory extended. If I remember correctly it was in the realm of 20 square kms.

I think cat owners should be responsible for keeping their cats indoors at night. IMO cats are on par as ferrets as far as pests are concerned. Our native fauna populations are so fragile they need all the help they can get to preserve what we have left.

I love my cat to pieces and keep it inside every night. The only thing it successfully catches is crickets ;) But if it developed a taste for the local native birds, like the family of Tui that breeds in our gum trees, then it would be all over for my kitten. IMO native fauna and flora are more important.

I totally sympathize with that nursery owner. A pest is a pest.

In tha past I have had to deal with obsessive cat lovers when the neighbours have complained. They are generally well meaning people who start feeding a few strays which start breeding and usually end up underfed and diseased. With the help of the SPCA I used to remove most of over 30 cats from one lady periodically and trust me the cats were in very poor condition. Keep your cat at your place, and if you can't don't have a cat. My preferences in life do not include your darling little pussy.

Growing up we always let our cats outside, not letting them out wasn't something you did. My precious Puffball, when we first got him we lived in an apartment building and didn't let him out. When we moved to this apartment, he was allowed to go out (thinking that letting him out was the "right" thing to do). Then at a trip to the vet's, the vet said you don't have to let cats out, it was ok to keep them in. All along I thought that idea was mean! But he said, if they get used to being in all the time that's fine. Anyway, Puffball was always taken in at night, I spent many night waiting up for him to come home (you'd think he was a teenager). By the time we found out it was indeed okay to keep cats inside, it was too late to do this to Puffball as he had a heart disease and the vet said keeping him in now would cause him stress!

ANYWAY, Tigger and Ginger do NOT go out. Ginger managed to get out a couple of times but didn't get far. I got her at the SPCA do have no idea if she was an outdoor cat anyway.

But the cats that I truly feel sorry for are the abandoned ones. What really upsets me is when an abused animal makes the news, people come out of the woodwork wanting to adopt the animal. But where are all these people, when the SPCA is filled with animals who just want a good home and love!

Gee, think I went off topic and much to long winded, sorry :oops:

Caper

We have a lot of cats move through our front garden and the poo everywhere! :evil:

You have all seen the one who makes every attempt to get inside to catch Bud. We can't leave a door or window open. Several times now it has got into the garage and been locked in there. We don't realise until late at night when we can hear it in the roof.

We have several stains in our hung plaster ceiling from when a wild cat got into the roof and refused to be caught. It kept peeing up there and that has come through the plaster :evil:

The nurseryman looked like he had gone to a great deal of trouble to fence and cover his plants but you know what cats are like for getting through small gaps. I have every sympathy for him.

I know that cats can be a problem, especially wild one. I do alot of shooting, mostly rabbits and stuff like that and I always come across wild cats. Tehre are so many up in the hills of central it is not funny. I used to not shoot them till I came across so many that were skinny and diseased. I talked to someone at DOC and they said they were a pest. So now I treat the wild ones as pest as well and keep the two that i have in at night.

My two cats love the attention they get at night, pats and cuddles and never complain about it. I think people should be more resposible with there cats like they have to be with there dogs.