Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vegetables

Featured Replies

What fish do you have?

I've fed cos lettuce to uaru and silver dollars, zucchini to plecos, and my sister feeds peas to her siamese fighters.

Herbivorous and omnivorous fish will eat an assortment of fruit and veg. Be aware of sprays though and wash it thoroughly. Tougher foods, like cabbage, need to be blanched first to break down the cellulose a bit or they can't digest it well.

Oscars love bananas

My BNs eat peas and cucumber

Many fish like lettuce

I feed mine taro leaves. The Gourmies and clown loaches from Indonesia/Malaysia recognise it from the wild as do my plecos.

I never blanch taro leaves like i have to with peas or cucumber.

I feed mine taro leaves. The Gourmies and clown loaches from Indonesia/Malaysia recognise it from the wild as do my plecos.

I never blanch taro leaves like i have to with peas or cucumber.

Interesting ....because they (taro leaves) are poisonous to humans and need to be prepared well....

Interesting ....because they (taro leaves) are poisonous to humans and need to be prepared well....

Taro leaves are used in fish keeping in Java and Malaysia. My uncles used to feed it to all there tanks throughout my childhood.

But your millage may very I like canister filters and all my uncles swear by overhead filtration.

Wait a min. I'm pretty sure that I can't eat hydra or alge without preparation either yet certain species of fish do fine without the invention of fire or tools.

meat's also a difficult proposition till fire and cooking came about as well.

Interesting ....because they (taro leaves) are poisonous to humans and need to be prepared well....

I don't recall my mum doing any special preparation other than washing the leaves. But that's advisable with most vegetables.

Are you sure you're not thinking of rhubarb? I heard that it's leaves are toxic, but I haven't really had it much personally.

I feed my crayfish peas but the INSECTIVOROUS kokopu nick off with them and fight over them so I have to feed several in the hope one falls down to the cray!

  • Author
What fish do you have?

I was hoping someone wasnt going to ask this just yet, im still working out what I have. :oops:

I will be posting some pictures soon of the fish in my tank, when I can catch them all on film. :wink:

I know I have a gold spot plecko, cardinal neons, shark?, black widow, rainbow fish, bristle nose plecko

I know I have a gold spot plecko, cardinal neons, shark?, black widow, rainbow fish, bristle nose plecko

If you have plecos you should definately be feeding some veges. Start with the basic ones like cucumber and courgette. Green beans and mushroom are popular with all my plecos too.

You need to stick a fork or something in them, let them sink, then take out whats left in the morning so it doesn't pollute the tank.

Cheers

Ian

  • Author

Pics of my fish are here, I do not know what most of them are called.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?p=299137#299137

A question on the feeding of vegies, how much do you give your fish, courgette etc, is this just sliced skin and all; are minted peas out assuming one uses frozen peas? etc tc etc :wink::o

I shell the peas. You grip them between thumb and fore finger squeeze and express the actul pea out. After your board or feel you have enough drop them for your little chaps and chappetts :bounce:

Never even thought to use minted peas so could not say eithr way if they're good for them.

My peas are the frozen minted variety. I just save a few from tea then give them a light squeeze to opo them out of their shell and drop them in.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.