Not sure is this is being done!

IHBR

when i was a newbie to fish keeping i got all the books out from the library i could find. they were all just the authour's opinions & every book contradicted the others partly or totally.

in my frustration i googled for some info & up came a link to this site. best day of my fish keeping experience.

opinions change, hardware improves & things change overall. the books were all at least 5 years old & almost everything had changed. current experiences are the best information & on this & other sites we can all share the new info.

I am about to get my first fish...

I have read a few books, websites and posted a few questions here... I've set up my tank carefully, I feel relatively prepared but I will in all likelihood lose a fish or two my first year no matter how much I read or how hard I try...

As in all things in life there is no substitute for experience, my mistakes will teach me more than anything else and if I learn from them I will get better...

With that in mind, all advice and research, while valuable will be an also ran to some simple silly mistake I'm bound to make which cost me, say, a $30 fish and will ensure I don't make it twice..!

The thing I find with books from the library and bookstores etc is a lot of them aren't written in New Zealand and a lot of the fish species in them you cannot even get here! The water is different here, the temperatures are different, Which can be confusing for newbies.

I agree also that most books contradict themselves with others.

Just like the forums. But you cannot 'probe' the book for more information or ask the book to detail something a little more if you don't understand.

What works for one person - many not work with someone else.

I'm particularly fond of native fish (which apart from a few members on here) there are absolutely NO resources out there for keeping them.

Personally I think its great to have a wide range of opinions!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a real beginner (and have paid the price for a lack of knowledge.) I tried our district library database and foun about 5 books total on tropical fish. Most of these could have been read in the time it takes to have your morning constitutional!!!!! I have found out so much from this site just from reading others questions/ answers. A really good reference book with as much info and experience as can be found here would cost an arm and a leg if it was available. Like anything on the net though I pays to verify what you told. Luckily being new to fish keeping doesn't make a person entirely dumb about researching stuff. Love this site Glad I found it. Love good Books too - if you can get them.

Hi All

I take umbrage (and anything else not screwed down) :lol: to being considered as not knowing enough to give information to those using the forums when they ask for assistance. :oops:

For your information IHBR I started keeping "Tropical Fish" at age 14; I am now 63 and only for a period of three years have I not had fish.

I have imported Fish and Plants, I have owned, (and still do) a shop, and I am a very consistent breeder of many, many species of fish; Including the "rare" Altum, and Leopoldi angels, along with five other colour varieties.

I suggest that your comments about reading a book was only a crude, crass generalisation, but as a lot of forum users are hobbyists you do yourself no credit with out a lot more substance and facts.

I have books that have cost upwards of $200.00 but I think I know what I am doing so consider myself qualified to speak, without referring to a book.

When you have read all the books in your local library contact me and I will loan you the same number again that are not in your library.

Enjoy the forums and the hobby.

:bow:

Ok, hold on, I did say "some people" not all pepole! I just get annoyed seeing beginners on here asking a question here and getting the wrong info. And its good to see there ARE people on here who do know enough to correct the bad advice. I just hope the corrections are made before the mistakes are made.

I just get annoyed seeing beginners on here asking a question here and getting the wrong info.

As a super beginner I have been sold stuff in pet stores that are INCORRECT to my needs and therefore have been given the wrong information. I understand everyone has their own experiences and views, as everyone is entitled to have.

I like this site as people ARE trying to help the best way they can. 8)

Sadly I do not have the time to read books on this subject but I always respect what people have to say, as I have to trust they meaning well.

We can not be perfect at everything… even within our careers. :x

I would like to thank everyone on this site as each one of you help make it what it is. :bow:

And at the end of the day…

It is all about the FISH

:bounce: :hail::bow:

People usually answer to the best of their ability and honestly believe they are correct. This is a place for all to give their opinions, both beginners and the more experienced. We never claim everything is right.

• 1 month later...

philosophically speaking

people sometimes give out false/contradicting info does not equal this forum is valueless.

inother words, people sometimes make mistakes, but that doesnt mean what they do are entirely meaningless or have no value at all.

e.g. my uni lecturers sometimes make mistakes and give out contradicting theories, does that mean my university is meaningless and has no value?

surely the answer is NO.