Tank makers in Auckland.

David R

Aside from Greg/Tanks2u, Hollywood and Tough Tanks, who else should I try? Greg seems to be ignoring my emails despite listing several large tanks on trademe, Hollywood were quite pricey compared to Gregs original quote, and Tough Tanks just quoted me $2400 for a 150x70x60 tank made from 12mm glass!!!

Yes, that is two thousand four hundred dollars!!!!

Any other suggestions? I'm also looking for a steel stand, although its not so important as Tough Tanks quoted me a reasonable price for one.

• 4 years later...
Aside from Greg/Tanks2u, Hollywood and Tough Tanks, who else should I try? Greg seems to be ignoring my emails despite listing several large tanks on trademe, Hollywood were quite pricey compared to Gregs original quote, and Tough Tanks just quoted me $2400 for a 150x70x60 tank made from 12mm glass!!!

Yes, that is two thousand four hundred dollars!!!!

Any other suggestions? I'm also looking for a steel stand, although its not so important as Tough Tanks quoted me a reasonable price for one.

i think the tough tanks place was quoting you as 150cmx70cmx60cm that will be why it was 12mm glass (therefore not a bad price?)

i think the tough tanks place was quoting you as 150cmx70cmx60cm that will be why it was 12mm glass (therefore not a bad price?)

I can estimate the retail value of the glass at about $550, based on the cost of Tauranga glass. Unless labour is normally $1850 to build a tank :dunno: , he may want to shop around.

Is the stand cheap enough to offset the cost of the tank?

I can estimate the retail value of the glass at about $550, based on the cost of Tauranga glass. Unless labour is normally $1850 to build a tank :dunno: , he may want to shop around.

Is the stand cheap enough to offset the cost of the tank?

Really! people have been really trying to rip me off... and i might have been a bit daft thinking about it. one of my current tanks is 1200x450x400 and i got that for $800 in stores! (had filters and heaters and lights too but i guess looking back that's still a bit of a rip now i look back at it and the price of glass etc)

Really! people have been really trying to rip me off... and i might have been a bit daft thinking about it. one of my current tanks is 1200x450x400 and i got that for $800 in stores! (had filters and heaters and lights too but i guess looking back that's still a bit of a rip now i look back at it and the price of glass etc)

old thread but anyway...

my 2000x450x450mm cost $350 new iirc from Greg.

Lights aren't cheap. Filters and heaters are a bonus. Include labour, and markup, and $800 doesn't seem too bad.

Yes this was sorted long ago, and since getting the 600L tank from Greg (who did it in 12mm for about quarter the cost of tough tanks IIRC) I have had an 800L tank from HFF, a 1400L tank from Greg (awesome price as he had a piece of tinted 12mm glass for the base!), a 400L tank from HFF, and am now looking at options for an 1800L tank to be built on-site here in Whangarei (still trying to find time to catch up with the local guy, then will try Greg if thats a no-go).

From that past experience I have concluded that you can't go past HFF for quality steel stands (have had three now and intend on getting one for my nest tank too), and Gregs tanks are usually a little cheaper than HFFs.

It depends on what the lights and filters are, but it doesn't sound like a rip off to me if they were reasonable gear for a tank that size.