Seahorses?

tinytawnykitten

If you are keen, my suggestion would be to do these things before you get a couple of seahorses:

1. Do some research on them - books and internet

2. Buy/setup a tank and equipment required for them

3. Put the tank through its "cycle", testing to ensure it is complete

While it is cycling contact the Local Fish Store that you last saw seahorses at and ask them to get them in for you. Hopefully when your tank is ready the seahorses will be available for you to take home.

I dunno much but i did go to the seahorse farm in Napier when it was open and that was really interesting! They had a few in those tall skiinier hexagonal tanks with undergravel filters (i think). They said that they need stuff in their tanks to hold onto with their tails when resting - things like seaweed or something. The females have a "hard" looking belly, while the males a "softish" looking belly. They used water from the ocean when doing water changes. It was very fascinating and i so wish it was still there!

I have also heard of people keeping them as pets but not exactly sure about whether you need a permit or anything. The Paua Shell Factory and Shop (Paua World, you may have seen the ads on tv) in Carterton have, or last time i went had, seahorses in a tank along with a couple of paua, mussels, seaweed and a lil fish.