does it always have to be expensive?

I-LOVE-FISH

the coral in its self is almost over $100.00 yet alone the fish,the filter,the heater,the cleaning e.t.c,e.t.c,e.t.c is there a cheaper option?

Hobbyist have tried cheap and it has not worked out very well,

You can get deals , however if you start off in a expensive hobby relying on deals then the hobby is not for you.

It is not like freshwater where you have a far bigger tolerance to water quality.

Many freshwater fish are breed unlike marine where 95% are wild animals so they don’t tolerate bad water quality.

If you want to do it right and have some sort of budget then start off correctly .

You need to allow at least $3000 . Might seems a lot but once you add up all the test kits, salt , etc, etc it keeps going up.

Here is a link that might help.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/basic- ... 23675.html

i hope this doesent offend any of you marine people but I think marine tank are boring, they all look the same. Plus I think that some corals look creppy with weird brain shapes and fluero colours. With freshwater is much more fexible and you can do things like aquascaping, biotypes and breeding. Plus It cost you a whole lot less. The only thing I think is better about marine is shrimp, freshwater shrimp are obviously not very avalible and they are so cool, I envy you marine people with the awesome shrimp but pity you that you spent thousands on thier tank. Just being a bit contraversial.

Not even being a marine tank holder (yet) I don't find it offensive, just a little ignorant. They don't look the same and the "creepy" looking corals are what is probably the most interesting. The colours, shapes and personalities are definately more interesting. I've had fresh water for 7-8 years and marine can't come fast enough. Different strokes for different folks I guess

but I think marine tank are boring

give it a go and you either be hooked for good or fail and go back to fresh water. It’s the non plus ultra in regards to fish keeping. in fresh water you "just" breed fish whilst in SW you grow corals (hard and soft - sps or lps or mushrooms or leathers or many other things), its never boring and sometimes quite frustrating because its so complex. Breeding fish is the ultimate in SW keeping due to their high demands.

So give it a go and come back to us “lost " souls that entered marines. (We also invested our retirement savings in it :roll: )

To answer your question....

I dont think you have to start in Freshwater.

I do think you can start with Marine.

However after keeping "Freshies" for nearly 20 years I still dont think I am ready for a "salty" tank yet.

If you are lucky and smart you find yourself a Mentor be it a shop or a person and you stick with their advice and go from there.

In fish it is a steap learning curve that is emotional and expensive...you are dealing with a living thing. Afterall.

Take your time, do things slowly after researching everything and talking to everybody, And unfortunately in this hobby you do definately get what you pay for, and most often than not ...at least as far as gear goes Biggest is Best.

HTH

Navarre

My first experience of any kind of pet is a marine aquarium, so you can surely start with a reef if you are patient and prepared to put the money in. :D

I think this is one of those things where a whole lot of variables counter balance against each other. Variables like 'money spent', 'previous experience', 'good advice', 'time invested'...

For instance I made up for my lack of experience, by spending quite a lot of money, getting a lot of advice, and taking a lot of time. Some people may be able to do a reef cheaply by running a nano or something. But it would require a lot more time, and a lot more experience, to balance the money saved.

I for one couldn't stand having any of that non-vibrant fresh water stuff. Bright colors = cool 8)

i am also guessing that saltwater is not a good place to start for first time fish owners? :roll:

Not at all, there is no reason not to start with marine, long as you get good advice, and actually follow it.

One advantage of not doing fresh water before moving to marine, is you don't have to "unlearn" anything, such as not using cannisters for biological filtration. A lot of people struggle with that.

But if going marine you need to commit lots of money, and lots of time on research. Although the research could be considerably easier if you find someone you can buddy up with who has a good marine tank, and just do what they say, long as you can understand the why.

i hope this doesent offend any of you marine people but I think marine tank are boring, they all look the same. Plus I think that some corals look creppy with weird brain shapes and fluero colours.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No offence at all Cheesejawa we all have our own tastes. :D

In fact I think that second part of your sentence was quite funny! :lol:

If you started with FOWLR, and then got additional lighting for corals, you could probably spread the cost out fairly well.

IE, start with 4x T5s, tank, good quality rock, sump, return & a couple of reef-safe fish

Month later get the skimmer

Then get lighting

then get corals.

yes 3,000 well spend can get you a great set-up.

espically if you buy quality second hand brands off this site and places like trademe.

to avoid $100 per coral you can buy frags (prices range from free to about $20).

Good luck

You could make a nano tank which I think can be done well for 1500 bucks. but as the say on mitre te adds big is better.

Well I've pretty much started with marine (except for a small goldfish pond) and it's been great. I certainly don't regret it. I will say it hasn't been cheap. I think the thing I've learned (and am still struggling with!) is patience!! Just read lots and lots and take the advice of the more experienced on the forum.... although there are differing opinions they have been there before with any issues you may have, including what equipment to buy etc

although there are differing opinions they have been there before with any issues you may have, including what equipment to buy etc

That is always the case especially in NZ where we only have a handful of experiance reef hobbyist, experiance hobbyist are not always the best to talk to unless they a have anecdotal everdance that they can keep a great tank.

Because you have been a long time in a Hobby does not mean you can keep a great tank.

everyone thinks they have a great tank until you compare it other tanks.

I used think my mates tanks was fantastic when i started and looking back it was crap, covered in algae and millions of pest anemoes.

Many hobbyist have a opnion based on no facts or experiance so info on the forums have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Its basically easy is to talk rubbish behind a PC.

The best info to keep a tank is marine magazines/books or websites that have articles by qualified people.

However saying that some forums do offer good advice.

here a good site,

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/

Yes Reef I certainly take your point. However I think the benefit of the forum and the discussions on it for peoplpe new to this like myself is that that you can get differing viewpoints and then use those as a basis for your own research. For example I've taken the views on say feeding sun corals from a forum and then done research using a variety of resources from retails sites, to online articles to give me a more rounded and in depth erspective. I guess I'd see the forum like a brainstorming session of sorts.

That is always the case especially in NZ where we only have a handful of experiance reef hobbyist, experiance hobbyist are not always the best to talk to unless they a have anecdotal everdance that they can keep a great tank.

Because you have been a long time in a Hobby does not mean you can keep a great tank.

That is a couple of the most ignorant and arrogant comments I have ever heard on this forum.

At what point are you an experienced hobbyist? I think, and know there are a lot of experienced hobbyists on forums in New Zealand and probably just as many that don't post on forums.

A great tank is a matter of personal opinion. Just because you don't think it is great doesn't mean it it isn't. It is all a matter of perspective.

Speak to experienced hobbyists. They are the ones who have already made a lot of mistakes. Learn from their mistakes and you may not have to deal with those mistakes yourself.

I reckon!

...meh

I really disagree that a great aquarium is just a matter of personal opinion. Your example, reef, was really well justified. If a tank has algae and pests living in it, you really should strongly consider any advice taken from the owner. Most of the more important aspects of running a marine aquarium (water parameters and control) are a matter of FACT not opinion...