External Filters - personal experience

je_suis_ketan

I've been looking at external filters on TM and I have noticed that different brands vary greatly in price for specs are similar to each other.

5 brands I've seen on TM include

Faunty, Eheim, Jebo, Fluval and ViaAqua.

What are some of your experiences with these brands?

Which ones are good and which are......more trouble than they are worth? Risk of leaking, Parts, easy to get into and clean etc?

Thanks

:bow::bow::bow:

I've had a jebo 810 and a 819 for several years now and they are both going sweet as. Not overly difficult to clean and while there is a bit of a knack to getting them re-started its pretty easy.

Only problem I had was when I broke a ceramic impellor shaft when cleaning one of the filters... Hutt Pets were excellent and got the part in for me but the more expensive brands (eheim etc) have readily available parts.

seems there have been instances where people have talked about faulty filters of all brands but certainly some are more robust/reliable than others (although they also tend to cost more!)

95% of leaks are due to user error. :P

All of mine have been either my fault for not closing the lid properly, not tightening a hose or force feeding the fluval with a powerhead because the pump is dead which causes the top to pop off.

I have two Aquaone CF1200s, only been running them for a couple months. But I like the way they're set up much better than the eheim 2213 I had and fluval 300 series and 400 series. And at $140 from petplanet they're something like half the price of an equivalent fluval and 1/4 the price of an eheim.

Like everything, you get what you pay for. I have Eheim 2028 filters that have been running constantly for nearly three years with no problems at all. They are just as quiet and efficient as the day I bought them. Parts are also readily available in the unlikely event you need them. If I were to be buying more filters, I'd be buying Eheim.

I have used Eheim wet/dry, Fluval and Jebo and love the Jebo. Wouldn't touch the Eheim wet/dry with a 10ft barge pole. Fluvals ran OK but clogged quickly and it took 2 of us to pull them apart for cleaning. Jebos are quick and easy 1 person jobs and only need cleaning once every 6 months or so. When I first set it up it ran for over 12 months before we decided to have a look inside it.

My first choice would be Fluval (204,304,404) because they are reliable,reasonably priced,user friendly and parts are available. 2nd choice Aqua One (Via Aqua) Cheaper than Fluval, reliable and parts available.Downside seems to be that they draw air into the system. I also have Eheims but not impressed, reason being I like pumps with a lot of flow and the price.