Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

External Filters - personal experience

Featured Replies

I've been looking at external filters on TM and I have noticed that different brands vary greatly in price for specs are similar to each other.

5 brands I've seen on TM include

Faunty, Eheim, Jebo, Fluval and ViaAqua.

What are some of your experiences with these brands?

Which ones are good and which are......more trouble than they are worth? Risk of leaking, Parts, easy to get into and clean etc?

Thanks

:bow::bow::bow:

i personally wouldn't touch a Faunty they are cheap so normally that means crap.

Eheim would be best

then fluval

then Jebo and ViaAqua about the same

then Faunty

going by what people have said about them

I've had a jebo 810 and a 819 for several years now and they are both going sweet as. Not overly difficult to clean and while there is a bit of a knack to getting them re-started its pretty easy.

Only problem I had was when I broke a ceramic impellor shaft when cleaning one of the filters... Hutt Pets were excellent and got the part in for me but the more expensive brands (eheim etc) have readily available parts.

seems there have been instances where people have talked about faulty filters of all brands but certainly some are more robust/reliable than others (although they also tend to cost more!)

95% of leaks are due to user error. :P

All of mine have been either my fault for not closing the lid properly, not tightening a hose or force feeding the fluval with a powerhead because the pump is dead which causes the top to pop off.

I have two Aquaone CF1200s, only been running them for a couple months. But I like the way they're set up much better than the eheim 2213 I had and fluval 300 series and 400 series. And at $140 from petplanet they're something like half the price of an equivalent fluval and 1/4 the price of an eheim.

Like everything, you get what you pay for. I have Eheim 2028 filters that have been running constantly for nearly three years with no problems at all. They are just as quiet and efficient as the day I bought them. Parts are also readily available in the unlikely event you need them. If I were to be buying more filters, I'd be buying Eheim.

  • Author

Thanks for the advice guys. :bow:

i personally wouldn't touch a Faunty they are cheap so normally that means crap.

Funny cause when I first saw the name Faunty, with my dislexyia I thought the title said Faulty - Bio filter :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have used Eheim wet/dry, Fluval and Jebo and love the Jebo. Wouldn't touch the Eheim wet/dry with a 10ft barge pole. Fluvals ran OK but clogged quickly and it took 2 of us to pull them apart for cleaning. Jebos are quick and easy 1 person jobs and only need cleaning once every 6 months or so. When I first set it up it ran for over 12 months before we decided to have a look inside it.

If it takes two of you to take a fluval apart you're doing something SERIOUSLY wrong.:)

Unless it's one of the round ones, those turn to clip together media containers are a BITCH to pull apart.

My first choice would be Fluval (204,304,404) because they are reliable,reasonably priced,user friendly and parts are available. 2nd choice Aqua One (Via Aqua) Cheaper than Fluval, reliable and parts available.Downside seems to be that they draw air into the system. I also have Eheims but not impressed, reason being I like pumps with a lot of flow and the price.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.