Christmas Dinner

coelacanth

One of my black ghost knifefish died last week :(

He was fine when I left for work and dead when I came home, so I popped him in the freezer for Christmas.

Bdspider came round because she can't afford to let me get any further ahead in our friendly competition to see who can eat the most number of animals (friendly to us that is, not to the animals!).

Knifey was a bit of a fatty but once filleted there wasn't much left, so I stuffed him with baby Stolephorus commersonii (sold in PaknSave as "Indonesian whitebait") and tossed in some pepper. I doubt knifefish must be eaten regularly in South America because we discovered that they are filled with teeny tiny bones as fine as hairs.

First photo: Knifey with his dorsal fin out (something you don't see with live fish because it is permanently tucked away into the back fold).

IMGP5259.jpg

Photo two: in preparation...

IMGP5264.jpg

Photo three: stuffed with Stolephorus.

IMGP5265.jpg

Photo four: knifefish and chips

IMGP5266.jpg

Photo five: all done

IMGP5273eaten.jpg

Would like to fink so, but even the fact you would keep an animal as a pet, and even if its dead CHOP ITS HEAD OFF! Thats bad enuff for me sorry.

GROSS!

(Some people have twisted & sick minds!)

So vampyres etc are cool [sucking blood etc] but chopping the head off a fish is gross? :-? :lol:

I seriously hope you didn't eat it if it died of unknown causes, IMO thats asking for trouble! Would you eat a sheep if you found it dead in a paddock?

If you actually killed and ate it then thats fine. I know some hippie germans who live on a farm, one of their horses broke its leg and had to be shot, so he butchered it and smoked it and made some of the best jerkey I have tasted! It seemed [to him] like a big waste to throw all that good meet away, and I agree.

I've still got my money on this being a hoax.

No one in their right mind would eat a fish that has died of unknown causes. Diseases can be transmitted so easily through cuts just imagine how dangerous ingesting them would be.

This was posted a little time ago.. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/diseas ... 26862.html

The thread also has a link to another forum where a fishkeeper explains her near death experience.

coelacanth may have a weird sense of humour but I don't think hes an idiot.

It applies to all infections due to bacteria, fungi, virusses or other living organisms.

This includes foot and mouth and bird flu, but not mad cow disease because it is not caused by a living organism.

Mad cow is caused by an infectious, reproducing, non living, protein that isn't destroyed by cooking. Google "Prion" freaky stuff. :o