odd question but.....

pufferfishnz

I went hunting a couple of weeks ago on my grandparents farm. Absolutely destroyed a couple of possums which was good fun. A few months back some chap caught 300 in the pine trees they have growing down the back of the farm then went back 3 months later and got 5 so he did quite a good job.

If you do go possum hunting it's a good idea to pluck them; possum fur is worth around $100/kg.

If you do go possum hunting it's a good idea to pluck them; possum fur is worth around $100/kg.

$110 down here :wink:

Thinking of going out for a shoot again soon

I never try and shoot the in the chest/heart, it just makes a mess.

BOOM HEAD shot and its done

Iv got some pics of the last rabbit hunt if anyone wants to see them. Ill have to direct you to my photo album as some are not family friendly

Yes, did that among other things, back in the late 70's, for a living. But every year, furs got worth less and less, till it just wasn't worth doing.

Now i'm a "city slicker" as they used to be called, so i don't have to get my hands dirty. :P

Weird thing was the guts dropped out of prices due to the activities overseas of the anti-fur campaigners. This was a prime example of where some of these well intentioned but poorly informed greenies do more harm than good. Possums are an introduced pest that every day, 7 days a week, eat 30 tons of native NZ forest. They also raid the nests of native birds and eat the babies. Once their fur stopped being worth collecting the population exploded and even more havoc is wreaked on our native species.

Thank you greenie activists! :x

PS. Now DOC trying to control them with poison but greenie activists trying to stop that too. :x

anyway....apart from mass killing of animals (pests or not) the reason for this post was if anyone comes across a baby possum i would like it. now when i say baby i mean small, but with fur.

i do realise your not supposed to keep them as pets (been there done that). its for a polytech/science experiement/research.

will not be released afterwards, will go to visit jesus and become a nice warm fluffy skin!

can anyone help???

Sounds like here's a whole bunch of guys might be able to help you out long as they don't accidentally club it to death first!

BTW I don't think it is illegal to have one for a pet (last time I heard anyway). I used to have one myself it was very cool. And as a single young guy at the time I can tell you a pet possum is a CHICK MAGNET! They love them.

Just they are hard to house train, my one was a male not sure but i think a female might be cleaner.

I had a baby possum when i was younger, he/she (not sure what sex) lived in my top draw of my dresser, only probelm was that since they are mostly nocturnal(sp) he/she would wake up when i was going to bed and want to explore my room. In the end we had to let it go, it is strange, i don't think i could have killed it now or back then since i helped it grow up.

It used to love sleeping in my pocket when it was small, i ghuess it was his/her pouch.

Great pet

from the Wild Animal Control Act of 1977

[(5)Except as authorised by a permit or licence that is effective for the purposes of subsection (1), no person may, without a permit issued by the Director-General,—

(a)Capture or convey or keep in captivity any thar, chamois, possum, or wallaby; or

(b)Except for the purposes of farming or operating a safari park, capture or convey or keep in captivity any deer.]

in other words, yes you do need a permit to keep a possum, wallaby etc in captivity