Tank Failure!!!!! Anyone else out there have it happen?

djsurfs

djsurfs - the shop I bought it off sorted it for me with no hesitation.

This was years ago now so I wouldve thought the manufacturer would've made improvements over time. I've never had one since but I would certainly be asking questions about these tanks glass integrity before I got another one (only because of my past experiences with them). As tHEcONCH said, they are very popular tanks and I know people that own them who have never had a problem.

Just out interest tHEcONCH was your tank replaced?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

You guys are freaking me out. My AR980 is about 1 cm down in the front corner (where the curve is) due to uneven floor and my not noticing when I set it up. The tank itself is sittng flat on an Aqua One stand.

I fill the tank about 95% full. I do my 50% wc every 2-3 days for the Discus, but pour water in as I'm syphoning out the window so never gets light enough to lift.

Do you think 1cm is putting much extra pressure on the curve?

Regards, TGWH

• 4 weeks later...

Yay! :bounce:

I contacted the distributor directly and am happy to report Aquaone has come through and is replacing my tank, even though it is well beyond the 1 year normal guarantee period.

So, even though still a little "tank- shy" (can you believe I was even contemplating re-homing my seahorses?!!) I am going to give it another go.

Now that is customer service! Thanks Aquaone! 8)

despite earlier reccomendations, I did not take the advice about "dropping a rock" *blush*, so my insurance did not cover anything :( so a big fat *raspberry* :P to them! "normal wear & tear" what a pile of *&^! Yes, time to change providers & double-check the small print and make sure I'll be covered in future!

.... MP aquaria ....

?? I dunno what is that?

And I am still a little nervous about setting up again & the strength of rounded corners. I do not need a repeat event! *paranoid*

Is there a way to take a poll here? I'd like to find out how many breakages/ leaks people have had... with these new curved jobbies vs. old fashioned siliconed corners.

• 1 month later...

My Aqua one 620t cracked this weekend.

not happy !! :evil:

this is the second one that has gone on me

dont buy one

and I rang my insurance and they said that they would pay for the glass to be replaced

when I spoke with the aqua one dealer the first question was

"was it on one of our stands"

this was a way out for them

the stand look to week

[list=]

no problem

I was hoping to be able to help with IDing why the tank had broken, being in the glass trade we can somtimes reconise failings

good luck

From memory those tanks are around 600mm high. Glass thickness was the issue, the curved bit gets thinner as you would know.

Also some of the aqua one tanks i have repaired in the past have not had polished edges around the top, some were very rough indeed.

My thought would be it would have started at the top.

As warren said, the store that it was brought from should replace it as it is a common problem with that size.

Hi All.

I'm willing to bet my life on the fact that tanks with rounded corners are rubbish. :evil:

If they were annealed correctly then they would not have any stress points that are suseptable to fracture, so this problem wouldn't arise. :roll:

It doesn't matter what type of stand they are on, so long as they have some High Density Foam Rubber sheeting (like I use) or sufficient polystyrene sheet underneath to act as a levelling medium then "AQUA ONE" in this case should be fronting up and replacing the tank.

Under the Trade Practises Act it is no defense to opt out of a gaurantee by saying you have to use their stand.

Was the buyer told this at the point of sale?:.............I bet not. :evil:

That makes the shop negligent and responsible for replacement.

The tank did not do what it was designed to do. That is house fish in a water medium.

The GOODS WERE "FLAWED BY DESIGN" and as such are not suitable for the purpose that it was intended.

Go back to the shop you brought it from and tell them to get it sorted, Post Haste.

Good luck.

:bow:

Hi there! I must admit I am now a wee bit worried however I have had Aqua one tanks now for over four years. Now running 11 Aqua one's of variours sizes (from 380 hospital tank to a couple of 1500 show tanks) not ever once have I had a problem with them. I move some of these tanks (mainly the 980's) constantly between locations on Aqua one stands!

so so far IMO they seem to be a good product.

My Aqua one 620t cracked this weekend.

not happy !! :evil:

this is the second one that has gone on me

dont buy one

and I rang my insurance and they said that they would pay for the glass to be replaced

when I spoke with the aqua one dealer the first question was

"was it on one of our stands"

this was a way out for them

the stand look to week

[list=]

Wow, sorry to hear about your tank.

Glad your insurance will cover it!

Just curious, have you been contacting your local dealer or the national distributor? I was so pleased when they replaced my glass, and doubt it cost them much. I am still using the old hood & cover.

From memory those tanks are around 600mm high. Glass thickness was the issue, the curved bit gets thinner as you would know.

I had looked into ordering a custom tank. ( but really couldn't afford it) Due to the tall height, I was informed the tank would have to be built using thicker than standard glass.

That, with the comment above convinces me that am the added height without sufficient glass thickness is the main problem; add in any thinner spots while creating the curve and any problems with the annealing..... *blammo!*

so I guess I am still a little nervous about another rupture...

However, I still believe overall Aquaone has good value for $ and they did back up their product in my case; though with the taller tanks, there could be a glass specification/ design issue which definitely needs addressing.

A lot of shopowners are more interested in selling another product and making more money rather than spending their time chasing up a warranty for nothing... never mind it leaves a bad impression on The Customer!

Try contacting the distributor.

good luck!

Tracey Burgess

Office Manager

Kong’s (NZ) Limited

52 Glenlyon Avenue

Greerton, Tauranga

New Zealand

Tel: +64 (07) 571 2188

Fax: 0800 329 566

www.kongs.co.nz

• 1 year later...

I know this is a while ago, but did you have any luck with dealing with Sales@Kongs, I'm currently in a disputes tribunal hearing and they have informed me they have never had any problems with their tanks breaking without cause, i.e. being bumped etc, they are saying I bumped it with a vacuum cleaner. I think I would have remembered that and I don't vacuum at 6.30am. :roll: I get the drift that they are happy to replace, but I'm thinking they shouldn't be breaking in the first place, it is so stressful.

I know this is a while ago, but did you have any luck with dealing with Sales@Kongs, I'm currently in a disputes tribunal hearing and they have informed me they have never had any problems with their tanks breaking without cause, i.e. being bumped etc, they are saying I bumped it with a vacuum cleaner. I think I would have remembered that and I don't vacuum at 6.30am. :roll: I get the drift that they are happy to replace, but I'm thinking they shouldn't be breaking in the first place, it is so stressful.

Ummm...So do they have any evidence that there was damage to the tank cause by blunt force impact? If you had for some insane reason been vacumming uber early in the morning, there would be a starting point for the crack - I'm sure Barrie will be able to explain this better, he's our glass man.

Good luck.

Sorry about your tank woes! I know it IS stressful, but try to not let it get to ya :) Hope you didn't have too much damage t other stuff.

Have you tried contacting the NZ importer directly? the contact details are there on page 3.

But I guess you've already spent money and applied to the Dispute Tribunal? And whoever showed up for Kongs denied prior problems?

I would say the numerous stories in this thread are all evidence. I know there are some more, because a friend in Oz had 2 of these 620T tanks break in the Exact same way & place as mine. I'd have to do a search over on seahorse.org to dig up the old thread, if it's still around..

Is your tank also a "tall" or some other model? how long have you had it?

Best wishes & good luck!

Yes I'm in dispute with Sales@Kongs they are the importer, they are saying it doesn't happen and it's my fault, I am interested if anyone else has contacted them directly!

Disputes Tribunal look at the evidence but it is not taken as true evidence in court without the witness.

Yes two tanks were T's and one AR620. 3 in total. :bounce:

• 1 month later...

In the last four (4) years I have had to repair six (6) of their tanks.

All Aqua One's.

I have had them with the glue line parting due to insufficient glue and no coving glue.

This has happened in every case to the tanks with the moulded front corners.

I have also seen these tanks crack from top left to bottom right due to the stress in the glass.

I also found it's a waste of time trying to talk to Kongs as they don't want to know and deny any liability.

Even under the Consumer Guarantees Act.