Just wondering, tanks vs power bills

Mrs Frog

I have 15 tanks (ranging from a 3 footer to smaller tanks) which each use 1 heater each, different wattages though. 1 external canister filter, 4 hang-on type filters, 2 air pumps and a 3 foot flouro light. Aswell as our day to day stuff our monthly powerbill is around $90. (there is only two of us)

I have 15 tanks (ranging from a 3 footer to smaller tanks) which each use 1 heater each, different wattages though. 1 external canister filter, 4 hang-on type filters, 2 air pumps and a 3 foot flouro light. Aswell as our day to day stuff our monthly powerbill is around $90. (there is only two of us)

woah thats good going! Our normal power bills are still nearing 200pm!

our last power bill was about $260 p/m and i have about 3500L in tanks atm. there is also 4 of us here. and our 3 computers never get turned off and we are running a swimmimg pool pump for 12 -14 hours a day.

this is now with the new fishroom.

when i just had my tanks in the spare room the power bill was $400 - $450 p/m

mine is in the garage, the garage gets hit by sun all day.

you can actually feel the heat from the garage door like a radiant heater. it heats my tanks up to a nice 24 to 25 all the time, even in winter.

during winter, heaters turn on more

but summer or autumn or sometimes even during winter, i hardly ever see the heaters on. when you change water, it does but after a few hours it is off again.

if your ambiet temp is warm, then your tank will be warm.

the filter constantly going would probably be the main user in a freshwater tank. its on all day all night and its about 40-70 watts depending on how big the motor is on a canister. thats like a lightbub on all the time

a light bulb i think fr 8 hours a day on, 60w, costs 4 or 5 dolalrs a month on the top of my head