Baby RES turtle ...

Mrs Frog

Hi all, I brought home my baby RES turtle yesterday, put him/her in the tank and I'm a bit worried as it is scuttling around all the time and I'm not sure if its normal or not?? Scuttling around in the water I mean, I have never owned a turtle before and I want to do everything right. Will my baby settle down or is it stressed?? Thanks.

I breed them and when you have a few in a tank they will happily sit and sun bathe but do a runner as soon as they see you and swim all over the place for a while like they are demented. I have never seen them with permanent psychological damage but when I talk to them they don't answer. They will feel more secure if they have places to hide. I would only put them outside in the summer in Dunedin. Mine are inside permanently in Christchurch

Okay so after having Zi (turtle), for over a week he is still really skittery and I don't even think he is using his basking rock as I never see him on it and every time I check its dry. He is eating really well because all of his food disappears lol. He is 2.5inches. Should I be taking him outside for some sun/dry time?? Do res turtles get friendly or do they stay like Zi is now...scared of us :(

have had adult turtles given to me or whatever that have been raised inside in tanks with heaps of close people contact.Put them outside in the pond and they revert to wild habits as quick as anything,one slight move and they are gone.Turtles are not a `hands on pet`they don`t seem to mind being picked up etc and people that say they need company,are lonely, etc just make me want to laugh.They will come up to you if they are hungry but as for affection...forget it,they just don`t need or want it.