Freshwater Stingrays

yarimochi

I know that we can't get them as of yet and I know they are not on the approved list but is there any way that enough people wanting them can build up enough support to have some imported? I'd be on the top of the list. The immediate response will probably be no we will never have them but I think that if they are not on the CITES list or a noxious pest that there is a chance we could get a few. Im off to Japan in two weeks so Ill get some photos of rays at my host familys house to make us all jealous.

Lets lobby hard for some rays! I would be first on the list for 2 leos.

But just think if you were the only person with a breeding pair of motoro's in NZ, $10 could be made back by selling 10 pups, maybe even less.

If the zoo did manage to import some and then bred them, what would happen to the offspring if they aren't allowed to be sold? Do they have to distribute them to other zoos?

• 2 weeks later...

Those Steve Irwin jokes are rather distasteful and disrespectful actually... :-? the man is a legend (IMO)... :hail:

Freshwater Rays are gorgeous, have seen a few in the old TFH mags that we have stacked away, but yeah I have read they can pack a nasty punch...

Anyone got a tank big enough for this species: :lol:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/11/photogalleries/giantcatfish/photo6.html

hey guys, I've been away so just catching up on threads now.

No, there's absolutely no way freshwater stingrays would EVER be allowed into the hobby in NZ. No matter how much money you threw at it, they would NEVER be put on the allowable import list.

Yes, zoos and public aquariums would potentially be able to get permits to import them but they would definitely not be allowed to sell any to private persons.

Yes, freshwater stingrays have stings, and yes they can kill (depending on species).

And finally, NZ has native marine stingrays, eagle rays and electric rays, all of which would be legal to keep -- so long as you have an enormous tank!

• 2 weeks later...

it seems the mekong river pulls up monstrosity after mosntrosities! beautiful ones! oxymoron yes but its true.

if you are lucky enought o ever see a freshwater ray, its so nice!

where i was from, they are common and the rare ones fetch for high prices. some breed them! can you believe that! its not easy but they do.

they do well with aros, arapaimas, gars etc.i have seen 4 different types i think, or 3 perhaps, whitish with bluish spots, dark purple ish colour with spots and another one with red ish colour.

but i think there are more of them